Author Topic: Just don't get it...  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Slyguylou

• Sly Guy in Training
Just don't get it...
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:41:39 AM »
So, being relatively new to head shaving, (started around Xmas 2018 and shave everyday), I went with a brand I'd heard a lot about, including on this site with good reviews; Headblade.

They are most definitely in the "premium" class as far as price goes. 

Now, other than the Headblade ATX, which simply does NOT shave me as closely as my Fusion 5, (have an Omnishaver arriving Friday Feb 1), I've loved everything about the other products... except price.

I love the products but I'm looking to try out cheaper alternatives, and to that end...

Headslick... AWESOME... ordered a bottle of Creamo... highly recommended on this site and WAY less expensive... we'll see how it compares.

HeadShed... AWESOME, (and I use it every day because I like how it feels in the morning)... ordered some Ives Apricot stuff or other... highly recommended on this site and WAY less expensive... we'll see how it compares.

HeadLube... AWESOME, and looking into cheaper alternatives.

Here's where the subject line comes in...

I use HeadClear and love that too... could do without the stinging though and I've been looking into either Witch Hazel alternatives... but in this case they are way WAY MORE expensive than HeadClear, (heck even regular, alcohol based aftershaves are orders of magnitude more expensive !!). 

Am I missing something?  I find it odd that this one product in their line up is the only one that is the least expensive of its competitors.

So... any recommendations on aftershave?  I don't find much when I search the forums for "aftershave."

I don't care how long the scent lasts frankly and have been looking at Proraso, but that's about $4.11/oz vs HeadClear $1.95/oz.

Thanks for any input.

Take care,
Lou

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Just don't get it...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »
HeadBlade is a small business run by the owner Todd Greene and just a few other folks. They put out what many consider to be great products designed specifically for the head shaving community. With these two factors, they are going to be a bit more expensive than some of the major brands that are backed by billion dollar corporations that can work on smaller margins.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Slyguylou

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »
Thanks, Tyler.

I totally get why they're a premium priced product vs big corporation backed ones... what doesn't follow the pattern, and that I don't get... is why their HeadClear is the least expensive alternative despite all their other products being top tier pricing.

Why in the aftershave category, are the big corporation backed products MORE expensive in this case?

I'm an engineer by trade... I don't like inconsistencies :)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 02:01:05 PM »
Hi Lou, after I shave daily, I rinse with very cold water and apply plain old witch hazel that I keep in the refrigerator. If I feel any skin dryness, I apply a little Nivea after shave balm.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »
Thanks, Tyler.

I totally get why they're a premium priced product vs big corporation backed ones... what doesn't follow the pattern, and that I don't get... is why their  is the least expensive alternative despite all their other products being top tier pricing.

Why in the aftershave category, are the big corporation backed products MORE expensive in this case?

I'm an engineer by trade... I don't like inconsistencies :)

Ah, gotcha!  I have no clue. LOL
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 01:05:54 AM »
I actually dislike headblade razors and their other products are nothing to write home about.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:34:48 AM »
I tried them when they first came out, I was not too impressed. He needed to add a whole bunch of pretty useless products to keep in business.

When I shaved my head, I would use the Mach III, and then moved to the Turbo version. I would shave, in the shower, using just water, and maybe a little soap if I skipped a couple of days. I would get about a month out of each blade.

After a shower, I would rub my scalp down with some rubbing alcohol... and that was it. No cuts, rash, bumps or any problems.

Very gimmicky.

Offline Vinniejster

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »
I've used Headblade products from the start when I first decided to shave my dome. I use the Headblade Moto. Used to have the ATX.
I do like their products, although haven't really looked into any other brands.
I am starting to look into other brands to try and cut down more on costs (postage to Australia is somtimes as much as the products, but I guess thats to be expected with the exchange rate)
VJ the Security Guy

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 01:26:33 AM »
I've used  products from the start when I first decided to shave my dome. I use the  Moto. Used to have the ATX.
I do like their products, although haven't really looked into any other brands.
I am starting to look into other brands to try and cut down more on costs (postage to Australia is somtimes as much as the products, but I guess thats to be expected with the exchange rate)

If you get the Atra adapter for the HeadBlade, then you can use any blades that would fit the Atra razor. It's also known as the Vector Razor in some parts of the world. Here's a link - https://amzn.to/2T2J1Rl