Author Topic: Two of my Role Models seems to have "drunk the Kool-Aide"  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Two of my Role Models seems to have "drunk the Kool-Aide"
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
One of my role models for having the courage to shave my head was a football player (Chicago Bears) named Brian Urlacher.  I do not like football, but Urlacher had a reputation for being a genuinely good guy and he did a lot of things for kids here in Chicago. And, he had a reputation for keeping a perfectly shaved dome!  He was know for it!

Today while driving south from the Naval Hospital at Great Lakes I passed by O'Hare airport.  In a 5 mile stretch of I294 There were no less a DOZEN full size billboards put up by a hair transplant company called "Restore" showing Brian Urlacher with hair transplant!! (Oh, the humanity....!)

Then, last night I caught about 5 minutes of Jimmy Kimmel on TV (which is about 4 minutes more than anyone should ever watch Jimmy Kimmel) one of his guests was the famous wrestler (and star of the movie "Marine"), with long, greasy hair with a blocked neckline!  (I feel ill).

Cena has been mocked by the fans in Australia and all over the internet.  In an interview he said; "He explained that since “everybody” on the Internet hates his hair, he feels obligated to keep the look until further notice. “For that reason I going to keep it,” he said".

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Two of my Role Models seems to have "drunk the Kool-Aide"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 05:47:10 AM »
Cena, especially, looks ridiculous. And the fake dark color doesn't help.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:51:28 PM »
Cena needs to go back to the buzz cut.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 08:01:13 AM »
Cena , looks like a geek with the longer haircut. But don’t tell him I said so!   >:D
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:21:16 AM »
One of my role models for having the courage to shave my head was a football player (Chicago Bears) named Brian Urlacher.  I do not like football, but Urlacher had a reputation for being a genuinely good guy and he did a lot of things for kids here in Chicago. And, he had a reputation for keeping a perfectly shaved dome!  He was know for it!

Today while driving south from the Naval Hospital at Great Lakes I passed by O'Hare airport.  In a 5 mile stretch of I294 There were no less a DOZEN full size billboards put up by a hair transplant company called "Restore" showing Brian Urlacher with hair transplant!! (Oh, the humanity....!)

Then, last night I caught about 5 minutes of Jimmy Kimmel on TV (which is about 4 minutes more than anyone should ever watch Jimmy Kimmel) one of his guests was the famous wrestler (and star of the movie "Marine"), with long, greasy hair with a blocked neckline!  (I feel ill).

Cena has been mocked by the fans in Australia and all over the internet.  In an interview he said; "He explained that since “everybody” on the Internet hates his hair, he feels obligated to keep the look until further notice. “For that reason I going to keep it,” he said".

Sad for Urlacher, who I admired as a player. I guess when chasing a paycheck, one can make stupid choices.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
Just goes to show you that even celebrities deal with self-confidence issues.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
Okay going to admit I  stop and watch WWE and Wrestling shows when channel flipping. Cena was on WWE tonight with his new grown out hair. In his intro he said somebody is probably going to say he needs to get a haircut. Okay....agree he looked better with short hair.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:36:17 AM by PDXGuy »

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:20 PM »
Watching wrestling again tonight they are still making fun of John Cena's haircut.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 07:04:15 AM »
In addition to possibly having wives (who may have had opinions), these guys (being in the entertainment business) probably have "stylists" who critique their choice of hairstyles. In addition, being in the entertainment business, they need to change things up to get attention, be remembered, etc. Or they may have just preferred a change of "style". They added hair...John Travolta shaved his off (and looks way better!). Personally, I think Cena and Uhrlacher both looked better with ultra short hair, but that's also the way we have become used to seeing them. 

Like when we shave, those around us sometimes say we looked better before (and sometimes we question our new look also), more because that's what they (and we) were used to seeing, rather than making an objective evaluation of our new look. That was the case for me anyway.  It was the same when I grew a beard...I wasn't quite sure if I liked the new look and criticism from my wife didn't help me. So, I shaved it.  Just like it took me a long time to embrace the shaved head look, it may take several attempts before I really get comfortable as a bearded guy.  My wife was more supportive of my clipper shaved head than of my beard though!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
In Urlachers case he got paid BIG money!

Cena admits that he has kept it just to get a rise out of his fans and make peole angry.  I am sure that sooner or later there will be another
 WWE head shaving episode with Cena as the victim this time!