Author Topic: Hi Everyone  (Read 10707 times)

Offline steve2802

• Learning the way of Sly
Hi Everyone
« on: November 16, 2018, 05:40:10 AM »
Hi folks,
I've just joined the forum - looks like there's a lot of helpful advice on here.
I have not yet gone for the bald shave but I clipper / buzz cut at least twice a week.
The reason for not razor shaving is bumps and spots - i think these are foliculitis.  I'm actually hoping that if I razor shave daily it might help things.
If you can see in the image the spots are mainly on back of head but some on sides too.  Some of the previous spots have caused scarring which has left pitted skin. 

I'm planning to wait until the worst of these spots have cleared.  I've used various treatments over the years but never one which clears it completely.  Nizoral - Tea Tree products - Turmeric - Mead - also antibiotics from the Doctor.

Any advice before I go for it? 
I have a local Turkish Barber and thought maybe having someone do a hot towel shave for the first cut might be a good idea?  Would anyone recommend or advise against that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers,
Steve.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:07:43 AM »
Hi Steve, welcome. I have the exact same issue! Same areas, same putting from years of outbreaks. On a whim, I shaved my head over 5 years ago and noticed the dermatitis disappeared within a few days. Long story short, I've tried to grow my hair back over a dozen times, and the problem always comes back in a week or two. I've tried every remedy known, and the only thing that works is daily shaving.

Maybe it will work for you. My routine is shaving, cold water rinse, apply witch hazel. And I exfoliate with a sugar scrub twice a week. If I stick to that routine, I seldom have even one blemish. Another benefit is a great looking bald head that feels awesome!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline steve2802

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice - good to know its worked for you and here's hoping it does the trick for me too.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
Welcome to the group! I have a few breakouts that tend to clear up after a razor shave. Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 12:15:54 AM »
Looking good.  Hope everything clears up for you soon.
Roger

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 12:36:54 AM »
 my dermatologist told me that the only cure for folliculitis was a lifetime of antibiotics or daily shaving! 

absolutely treat yourself to a ho twel straight razor shave from that Turkish Barber _ you deserve it !  After that you can take care of it yourself very easily just get your scalp good and hot and moist  in the shower  and Shea with a good cleaning lady within three minutes of getting out of the shower

Offline steve2802

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »
@Semi-Sly  @nuts  @Sir Harry  @reddog - thank you all for the advice it's great to know others have had same issues.
I bought all the tools and products today so tomorrow will be my first day of sly. Can't wait!
Thanks guys!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
Welcome Steve , hope that first shave goes well for you.   O0
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline steve2802

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 02:26:17 AM »
Feels great!
One sore patch above ear but that was already there so just went easy on that area. Hopefully the clean shave will help clear the problem areas.
Went with King of Shaves anti bacterial shave gel and a 3 blade razor. Followed up with Bump Patrol.
Feeling fresh and clean!

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 06:17:19 AM »
i had problems like yours but i got them when i did not shave my head,but then once i shaved my head they gradually went away within two days and stayed away until i started letting my hair grow out again.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 06:27:38 AM »
Looks great Steve, now let's see if the problem clears up. Give it a few days.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 08:23:03 AM »
Looks good Steve , you may want to try witch hazel on your scalp . Many find it soothing and helps with blemishes, cuts and irritation. I use it most shaves. But beware of using to many products at the same time.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline steve2802

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 04:14:19 AM »
So I'm two days in and it seems to be going well!
Thanks to all who have commented above with tips or just welcome notes.  This is a great forum.

Here's my head after day 2 shave.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
Looks much better...Give it time your problem spots look like they're starting to clear up.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
Your shine looks great!
SlyBeard