Author Topic: 22 and I kind of look like a monk  (Read 2418 times)

Offline addojay

• Learning the way of Sly
22 and I kind of look like a monk
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
Hey everyone,

So here's my dilemma. I've been balding ever since I was 18 or so. It's been increasingly noticeable to the point where most people who become friends with me make fun of me for it in a good-natured way. Also for the past 2 girlfriends I've had, whenever I was introduced to her friends for the first time I overheard them making jokes about the top of my head (mostly just to poke fun at her for dating someone whose noticeable balding up top. I don't take offense to it and sometimes I even think its humorous). It doesn't bother too much me because I'm fairly confident, but sometimes it does make me question whether or not I should just shave it off. There's also a caveat. I look normal from my front profile but I have a pretty noticeable bald spot on the top of my head.

I would appreciate any advice on whether not I should try going bald. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but it does make me nervous since I don't know and haven't met another 22 year old whose shaved their head and wasn't in the military.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:29:18 PM by addojay »

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
Re: 22 and I kind of look like a monk
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »
I think you'd look good. Give it a shot! I wish I'd done it a long time ago.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »
Welcome, @addojay!

Just about all of us felt anxious or nervous about shaving before we did it.  I honestly can tell you that all of my worry went away the moment I took that first swipe with the clippers. I never have regretted my decision.

If you want to shave, do it.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
I mad a decision at very early age that I would shave at the first sign of thinning, and that is what I did.  But in my case, thinning did not start until my late 40's so it was not the same as your situation.  A lot of guy will start by just transition to a short buzz.  The bald spot will still be visible, but much less noticeable.  My suggestion is to just go for it and shave.  Keep the beard.  You said you are confident, and shaving will make you look more confident.
SlyBeard

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 09:23:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum @addojay!  As Cave Dweller mentioned, we all felt somewhat anxious contemplating that first shave.  Nevertheless, I can say personally that it was a big relief for me after doing it.  Based on what you've said and your photos, I'm going to predict that you will be very happy with shaving it all off.  I think it will suit you well, and you will be happier with the sly look than your current look.  That being said, this is also a big change, and it will take YOU some time to get used to it.  This is where the 30 day rule comes in.  Keep us posted and check back in if you need any further encouragement or advice.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Welcome to SBG , I personally would first start with a short # 1 or 2 buzz cut . See how that works out , you can always then try shaving. This gives you and others an easier way of adjusting to a different look. That is how I eventually shaved .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:45:02 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Enter your email address: