Author Topic: Seriously Considering the Sly Look  (Read 4362 times)

Offline countjulian

• Learning the way of Sly
Seriously Considering the Sly Look
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
Hi all, I'm a diffuse Norwood 3 who's seriously considering the sly look. I am at the point where's it finasteride or sly, basically, and I can kind of guess what the recommendation will be here.

Will I look good with the sly bald look? I feel that I don't have a good head shape for it, too oblong and my forehead is too big. Here are some pics:

Last one is the latest. Your thoughts are appreciated.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:48:52 PM by countjulian »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Seriously Considering the Sly Look
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:52:22 PM »
Head shape is the number one question, and I can not think of a time when I actually though it was an issue after shaving.  The fact is, all heads have bumps and curves.  The best thing I can suggest is that you give it a try.  If you are concerned with showing up to work with it shaved, you could just go progressively shorter with haircuts to give people and yourself time to adjust gradually.
SlyBeard

Offline countjulian

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
I work from home and I'm actually about to move, so that's not the problem. I just want to have an idea what to be prepared for. I am afraid I will look like a conehead.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:55:16 PM by countjulian »

Offline countjulian

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
200 views and only 1 response? I guess no one wants to be the bearer of bad news.......

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
Usually I am pretty positive about  suggesing someone shave but you have a very good coverage of hair so the question is Why? at this time of your life. 
Roger

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:32:59 AM »
Welcome to the board, sir!

I think you have a good headshape and you have a nice tan which will help you. The only way to find out though is to do the deed and if you don't like it, you will be back to a short buzz in two weeks. As far as the low responses, your thread was probably viewed by a number of guests with no account. But even so, we're glad to have you and keep us posted on what you decide!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »
Welcome!  Judging by your pictures, I'd say you are starting from about the same point when I decided to go sly.  It does look like you have enough coverage still if you want to keep your hair for a while longer.  Really it's going to be a personal decision for you: do you just want to go progressively shorter (generally a good place to start as Slybeard suggests), or do you want to just go for it all at once?  I would say that 99% of us worry about our headshape, and about 99% of the time it's just fine.  I will also say that I found it to be a very liberating experience, but it did take me a good 4-6 weeks before I fully got used to it.  Good luck with your decision, and know that there are a bunch of people here who can offer their support if you decide to go for sly!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the shape of your head if I were you.  As the others have mentioned, everyone thinks it's a big deal when in fact it's not.

Given that you still have a decent head of hair, what's driving you to make the change to sly? It will be a radical change if you go all at once, but it's doable - I say this from my own experience.  If you go gradually, you will get an idea of the transition and should you decide you don't want to maintain the sly look, you'll have a better idea of the length you are comfortable with.

If you choose to try sly, our strong advice is to stick with it for 30 days to get accustomed to the new you. 

Lastly, if you have the itch to try sly, nothing will scratch that itch until you shave your head.  And once you do it, it's hard to go back to hair.  Again I say this from personal experience. 

Good luck with your decision!

Offline countjulian

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses and I apologize for the lateness of my reply.

As to why I am considering the slick bald look, I'm OK from the front but the back is a mess. It's very thin and I don't go out of the house without wither Toppik or a hat. So even shaving everyday would be a huge relief.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. For the time being, I think I am going to take my chances with Finasteride(Propecia) and a few other tricks like dermarolling. If things don't work out, though, I'll be back. I might hang around here though a bit. Thanks again for the warm welcome and all of the advice :)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 02:13:50 AM »
@countjulian feel free to hang out
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses and I apologize for the lateness of my reply.

As to why I am considering the slick bald look, I'm OK from the front but the back is a mess. It's very thin and I don't go out of the house without wither Toppik or a hat. So even shaving everyday would be a huge relief.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. For the time being, I think I am going to take my chances with Finasteride(Propecia) and a few other tricks like dermarolling. If things don't work out, though, I'll be back. I might hang around here though a bit. Thanks again for the warm welcome and all of the advice :)

Avoid the drugs, they are not worth it.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 11:18:56 PM »
Hello:

Your head shape is fine.  When you shave your head people will begin to notice your facial features for the first time.  And wow! - Don't hide that strong jaw and chin with a scruff or beard!  With that jaw line and those eyes your are going to stop traffic!

If you choose to shave please observe the 30 day rule. 

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
Welcome Julian!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline brannon67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
Man, I think you would look great sly. Mayby buzz it down really low, and see how you like it, and proceed from there. Oh yeah. you have a very strong jaw line, which will aid in looking good sly. Just dont put the drugs in your body. Its not worth it. Just saying.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:34:23 PM by brannon67 »

Enter your email address: