Author Topic: What do you guys think?  (Read 9248 times)

Offline tuftsuniv1

• Learning the way of Sly
What do you guys think?
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:46:16 AM »
Firstly, I just wanna say this is an awesome site and you guys are great...I'm new to the site and have been debating whether or not to shave it all off. My main concern is the shape of my head. From the side my head looks awkward and pointy. There is no roundness in the back. Anyway, I'm really nervous about shaving it all off and wanted you guys opinions. Moreover, I've got a small small scar on the top of my head near the crown due to an accident in which i had to get a few stitches. I'm extremely anxious about going through with it as I'm already pretty self-conscious about it all. Basically, I don't want to be forced to wear a hat all day everyday so as to avoid embarrassment. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 11:06:59 PM by tuftsuniv1 »

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
Re: What do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:32:23 AM »
Welcome,

I think you've got a good shape, and as far as scars go, I've got one front and center from a Lego accident when I was 5.... and it's not so obvious after a clean shave. I think shaving has diminished the appearance of the scar, in fact.

Like many other guys on here have done, I would recommend taking it down step by step, seeing what you're comfortable with, but I think you'll be sly in no time with a little confidence :)

Cy

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:13:49 AM »
Welcome tuftsuniv to the forum.  Glad you found us.    The shape of your head looks fine from those photos and we all have imperfections, scars, etc and they truly are not as noticeable as you might think and are a bigger deal to us than to others.  If the anxiety of going totally sly is that strong, perhaps you should go to a #1 buzz first and get comfortable with that.  You could then take it to a zero which is almost sly.  If that doesn't fit you well, it just takes a few days to be back at a 1 again.  Have to warn you though that the thought of being sly is already planted in your head and you won't rest until you shave it.  Before you do shave though,  check out the various threads threads here on products and techniques so that the first shave will be a good experience.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:50:33 AM »
Welcome, Glad you've joined us.  I think your head looks fine.  Can't see anything wrong with it.  Just like everyone else will tell you,  just take the leap and you won't regret it. O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:09:16 AM »
welcome bro. you will look fine.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:09:49 AM »
JUST DO IT!   O0  you wont regret it....trust me. 

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:10:35 AM »
Oh sorry..my bad....Welcome Bro...glad to have you here....cant wait to get to know you and all

Offline sifudave

• Sly Jr.
  • One Warrior, Many Weapons.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:24:20 AM »
Welcome to the site.

My suggestion: shave it and see.  It will grow back - probably   ;)

I have several scars on my dome and no one mentions them.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
Firstly, I just wanna say this is an awesome site and you guys are great...I'm new to the site and have been debating whether or not to shave it all off. My main concern is the shape of my head. From the side my head looks awkward and pointy. There is no roundness in the back. Anyway, I'm really nervous about shaving it all off and wanted you guys opinions. Moreover, I've got a small small scar on the top of my head near the crown due to an accident in which i had to get a few stitches. I'm extremely anxious about going through with it as I'm already pretty self-conscious about it all. Basically, I don't want to be forced to wear a hat all day everyday so as to avoid embarrassment. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You've got an excellent headshape man.  I don't see the problems you are seeing.

As for scars, I have 3, and it doesn't bother me.  Adds a little character.

My advice is go for it.  O0

X The Hierophant

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 09:41:49 AM »
Welcome,

as far as scars go, I've got one front and center from a Lego accident when I was 5....

#i&@

Lego's can be a dangerous thing!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »

Firstly, I just wanna say this is an awesome site and you guys are great...I'm new to the site and have been debating whether or not to shave it all off. My main concern is the shape of my head. From the side my head looks awkward and pointy.
tuftsiniv1....welcome 2 the sly brotherhood.  glad that ya found us.  as far as your noggin'...it's looks fine...there is no perfectly shaped head.  we all have some imperfections.  as far as shaving your noggin'.... i say go 4 it.  put a quality razor (fusion,mach3,hb) on that dome & make it smooth.  your dome will look better than it looks now.  and u will not regret it.  anyways... with all that said.... it will b up 2 u  when the deed will b done.  remember this... the sooner the better. O0  c  ya 'round the forum & keep us posted 2 your road 2 SLYNESS.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 10:19:03 AM »
If the anxiety of going totally sly is that strong, perhaps you should go to a #1 buzz first and get comfortable with that.  You could then take it to a zero which is almost sly.  If that doesn't fit you well, it just takes a few days to be back at a 1 again.

I second what Paul said. That's the advice he gave me early on and it works.
I remember the anxiety well, since I am just one month into being slick and smooth. If you follow this advice I can guarantee you will be shaving it off probably no more than a week into the 0 buzz.
This is exactly what happened with me. Once I had gotten it down that close, it really gets into your head to just finish it off and be done with it.
Like some of the bro's say; give it a chance, if you really don't like it, it's about 3 days til you're back at a #1. If you find you like it, then give it thirty days and I bet you will be addicted.

Also, your noggin looks fine. We all have something that we like and dislike about our heads. That's what makes us different. We usually think about it more for the same reason some try in vain to keep their hair. It's a vanity issue, but once you shave it, it free's you up from thinking this way. Try it and see.   O0

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
Welcome aboard, Tufts.  Your head shape is fine -- not a thing to be conserned about.  You've already had great advice from these guys, and I agree with them.  Here's an observation, though:  A perfectly spherical cranium is not a requirement for shaving, or none of us would be here.  Our perceived "faults" stand out to us, and when we're backed up to the bathroom mirror, looking at the reflection in the hand-held mirror, our eyes go directly to the places we are concerned about.  "Isn't that bulge in the back a bit big?" or "Sheesh, from that angle it looks like I have a point on my head!" or, "is that scar the deal-breaker?"  I have come to believe that no one obsesses about my head but me, and frankly, I think if we are more or less symmetrically shaped (side to side) no one who sees our bare noggins gives a rip.  A person looking at a bald head tends to see the whole package, not the individual characteristics that we focus on. 

So, take 'er down to a #1, then #0....and then go for it!  You're sure to like it. 

Best Wishes,

mlnhd       
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
Tufts, welcome!  I'll trade your head shape for mine any day.  I see nothing wrong with it.  Take the advice about buzzing it shorter and shorter.  It will give you a great idea of what the final product will be.  I agree with the others that sooner or later you will be smooth since the seed o do it has already been planted.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
PS, Tufts -- I forgot to include this link to a gallery that shows a random collection of bald or nearly bald heads.  It was an encouragement to me to see all the different shapes when I was contemplating the deed.  Check it out.               mlnhd 

http://www.pbase.com/ira_morenberg/bald_men
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.