Author Topic: Why cartridge is so ineffective on my head?  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
Why cartridge is so ineffective on my head?
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »
Hey guys!

I've been using cartridge razors since forever! They give me close and smooth shaves on my face and also all over my body, except my head!
I particularly use a Gillette Power Fusion + Shave against the grain
I find it so struggling to shave my head no matter how many days I skip shaving!  :-[
I always have to use several strikes against the grain to see a convincing but not great smoothness !
I hope you can help me figure it out. Thanks.  ;)

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
Re: Why cartridge is so ineffective on my head?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
I have never used a cartridge for my head, I have used many different kinds over the years for my face. Maybe the reason you are not getting the desired results is because the angle of the blades is preset for you with a cartridge and the fact that it has too many blades. I use a safety razor to shave my head and discovered if I don't angle the blade correctly I can not get certain areas shaved smooth. The back of my head has the thickest hair and if I don't angle the blade correctly I can go over the same area over and over and never get the area smooth. I personally think that you can get a better/closer shave with one sharp blade vs multiple blades but my opinion aside, the chance for hair getting clogged between multiple blades can also cause your razor not to cut the hair and just push around he shaving cream/soap. Last year I received one of those 5 blade cartridge razor things with the pivoting head that takes really expensive replacements for Father's Day.....I tried to shave my face with it.....it pain sucked because I couldn't get any control at all around my nose/mouth area or any tricky spots. I had my wife return it and went back to my Cheap DE razor that I was using and had better results....and that was before I learned how to use one correctly. As I said before I have never used a cartridge on my head but from all I have read...mostly on this forum...what you gain in speed and auto-pilot shaving you miss out on the closeness of a DE, SE or straight edge razor can give you. Hope that helps you.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »
I guess I should add that when I shave my head with my DE razor I shave against the grain and across the grain only. Against for my first pass and a combination of against and across for cleanup. I also never use a mirror for the back of my head...I do it by feel and I take my time.

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
Thanks Cobranet, Your post was soooo informative.

I have one of those expensive fancy cartridges and i'm totally satisfied with the results on my face.
The thing is that I've used DE safety razors when I was a teenager and I used to cut myself every single time  :( That's exactly why I bother buying cartridge razors that cost me a lot!
You have convinced me to use a DE razor, but I'm still worried about the cutting part!

Since You've been doing it for a long time, Could you plz teach me how to use a DE properly? Thanks

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
I love the DE razor. It takes a little extra time and concentration, but gets you BBS smooth. The blades are so cheap, I use a new one every day. It's all about the angle. What works good for me, especially in the back is I close my eyes and listen to the sound. I have learned the sound when it's at the perfect angle. I only get a knick every 2 or 3 months, usually trying to go too fast.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
I love the DE razor. It takes a little extra time and concentration, but gets you BBS smooth. The blades are so cheap, I use a new one every day. It's all about the angle. What works good for me, especially in the back is I close my eyes and listen to the sound. I have learned the sound when it's at the perfect angle. I only get a knick every 2 or 3 months, usually trying to go too fast.
Reddog could you plz teach us your trick? :D How does it supposed to sound?
It's such a hassle for me to shave the back of my head even using an extra mirror doesn't make such difference  :-\

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 01:46:57 PM »
If there were a way to teach you, I surely would. Guess you would have to come to Minnesota!

It's just a learned sound. Kind of a scraping sound. I never use a mirror for the back. Razor in one hand, and feel along with the other. Like I said, closing my eyes gives me extra concentration. And I use very short strokes, working from bottom to the crown.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
If there were a way to teach you, I surely would. Guess you would have to come to Minnesota!

It's just a learned sound. Kind of a scraping sound. I never use a mirror for the back. Razor in one hand, and feel along with the other. Like I said, closing my eyes gives me extra concentration. And I use very short strokes, working from bottom to the crown.
so I'm gonna give it a try! hope I don't cut myself  ;D

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 06:13:51 PM »
I am by no means an expert, but my advice would be this.....Watch the videos on youtube, there are many ....just type in "wet shaving" and there are many how to videos that will show you how. Don't be tentative when you shave. If you shave scared you most surely will cut yourself. Go slow , careful and confident . If you try using a DE razor try it on your face until you get comfortable then try your head. You mentioned issues doing the back of your head with a mirror.....maybe it's not the type of razor you are using that is the problem, maybe you are getting frustrated and tentative because you are feeling restricted shaving that part of your head. You can hear the hair being cut by the razor....you should be able to hear it with the razor you are currently using too....Go slow and let the razor do all the work for you, that may or may not work as far as a cartridge goes, as I stated I have never shaved my head with one so you may need to apply pressure or whatnot....things that you don't do with traditional wet shave razors.  You could always use an electric and the do cleanup with your current razor . Hope that helps. Good luck and enjoy your shaves....if it feels like a chore you will probably not get the best shaves.

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »
I am by no means an expert, but my advice would be this.....Watch the videos on youtube, there are many ....just type in "wet shaving" and there are many how to videos that will show you how. Don't be tentative when you shave. If you shave scared you most surely will cut yourself. Go slow , careful and confident . If you try using a DE razor try it on your face until you get comfortable then try your head. You mentioned issues doing the back of your head with a mirror.....maybe it's not the type of razor you are using that is the problem, maybe you are getting frustrated and tentative because you are feeling restricted shaving that part of your head. You can hear the hair being cut by the razor....you should be able to hear it with the razor you are currently using too....Go slow and let the razor do all the work for you, that may or may not work as far as a cartridge goes, as I stated I have never shaved my head with one so you may need to apply pressure or whatnot....things that you don't do with traditional wet shave razors.  You could always use an electric and the do cleanup with your current razor . Hope that helps. Good luck and enjoy your shaves....if it feels like a chore you will probably not get the best shaves.
Thanks Cobranet, I'm gonna spend a few bucks buying a DE. as far as i can recall, the last few times i was using a DE razor, I foudn out that removing the safety guard will help to have a closer shave but results in increasing the risk o f cutting yourself. do you recommend it?

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 04:27:39 AM »
Part of the process of shaving your head is that everybody has to find a way that is suitable to them IE brand of blade etc .I find a 2 blade suits my head  best. I rarely cut myself and once i change the razor every second shave i get a good smooth shave  .Little things like a face scrub help as well . i don't even buy the top brands either anymore. Im sure you will find the way that suits your head as well
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 06:32:25 AM »
I would have to agree, use what works best for you. I'm not trying to convince you to switch to a DE razor, just trying to help you figure out why you are having problems with the razor you are using. Would I switch to a DE...? Yes....but it's what I am comfortable with. I was shaving my head twice a day for about a week just to get more of a comfort level and lose any trepidation using it on my head and having any fear that I was going to cut myself. If you want to use a cartridge then you should stick with it , you just need to figure out why you are struggling to get a smooth shave with it. What kind of prep do you do? What kind of cream or soap are you using? Some of these details can really make a difference. If you get a DE razor I would not recommend taking the guard of...not even sure how you can do that and still shave with it but something like that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Regardless of the type of razor you are using, let the razor tell you how the shave is going.....you should be able to tell by the sound and feel if the razor is cutting the hair or if it is just clogged and pushing around the lather.

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 06:53:08 AM »
Part of the process of shaving your head is that everybody has to find a way that is suitable to them IE brand of blade etc .I find a 2 blade suits my head  best. I rarely cut myself and once i change the razor every second shave i get a good smooth shave  .Little things like a face scrub help as well . i don't even buy the top brands either anymore. Im sure you will find the way that suits your head as well
I totally agree with you, there is a reason why there are so many different products out there O0
I would have to agree, use what works best for you. I'm not trying to convince you to switch to a DE razor, just trying to help you figure out why you are having problems with the razor you are using. Would I switch to a DE...? Yes....but it's what I am comfortable with. I was shaving my head twice a day for about a week just to get more of a comfort level and lose any trepidation using it on my head and having any fear that I was going to cut myself. If you want to use a cartridge then you should stick with it , you just need to figure out why you are struggling to get a smooth shave with it. What kind of prep do you do? What kind of cream or soap are you using? Some of these details can really make a difference. If you get a DE razor I would not recommend taking the guard of...not even sure how you can do that and still shave with it but something like that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Regardless of the type of razor you are using, let the razor tell you how the shave is going.....you should be able to tell by the sound and feel if the razor is cutting the hair or if it is just clogged and pushing around the lather.
Thank you. You helped me a lot on this issue

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 06:26:09 AM »
 I have used multiple blade cartridge razors and DE razors. I like the DE except that you have to be easier with it and let the razor do the work otherwise you can cut yourself.

Nowadays i use a Mach3 razor. Its a 3 blade cartridge razor and it is really really good.

Remember to go 'with' the grain first! Then 'against' the grain! Very important.

Lather up well too. Make sure blade has not been used lots of times too.

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 12:06:22 PM »
Thanks I guess I'll give DE razors a shot

Enter your email address: