Author Topic: What, if anything, did you give up for Lent?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
What, if anything, did you give up for Lent?
« on: February 23, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »
Lent season began on Wednesday, the 10th. It ends on Easter weekend. I decided to give up sodas and barbershops for the Lent season. I actually started on the former back in January when I joined a gym, but I decided to do the latter (the barbershop) after my last barbershop visit on Monday, the 8th. (Most barbershops were open on this Monday due to being closed on Tuesday for Mardi Gras). On my last visit, I didn't have an issue with the headshave, but he cut my mustache thinner than what I wanted. I was so disappointed in the mustache trim, and to an extent, the beard trim, I knew I needed at least two weeks to get back to where I was. So I decided to just start shaving my head every three days instead of five or six and not touch my facial hair at all. That said, just wondering if any of you folks gave up something for Lent, no matter how much you loved or enjoyed it?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:50:47 PM by SirHarry225 »

Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Professor Rorschack

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: what, if anything, did you give up for Lent?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »
I found for this year that I'm not giving up something as much as I am adding something. There are a couple faith/spiritual life books that I've been wanting to get through for some time now. My goal is to read a little each day and finish all of them by Easter. Being a Literature teacher, it's not really the reading part that is difficult or arduous, the hard part is finding the time to deliberately carve out at home to sit down and read (a busy schedule and a 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year-old make it kind of difficult most nights  ;)).

I guess you could say that what I'm "giving up" is time that I usually spend doing other things...
"Mere longevity cannot render life meaningful any more than brevity has the power to make it meaningless."
-Peter Rollins

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:40:11 AM »
I gave up hair on my head for Lent .... :D

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:46:32 AM »
Soda and candy are what I gave up. I've tried to give them up before outside of Lent but usually cave at some point. There is something about the season of Lent and the sacrifice associated with it that gives me the strength not to cave.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
Spending money on shaving products.  I'm actually attempting that for the entire year, not just Lent.  I fell down the rabbit hole when I started using the DE, SE, and shavettes.  I didn't really buy all that much, but between PIFs and gifts from other people, I accumulated a lot of stuff.  I also listened to an Andy Stanley podcast right before the first of the year that sealed the deal for me.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:21:41 AM »
Spending money on shaving products.  I'm actually attempting that for the entire year, not just Lent.  I fell down the rabbit hole when I started using the DE, SE, and shavettes.  I didn't really buy all that much, but between PIFs and gifts from other people, I accumulated a lot of stuff.  I also listened to an Andy Stanley podcast right before the first of the year that sealed the deal for me.

What was the podcast about?

Also, last year my rule was I couldn't buy anything new (shaving wise) unless it was replacing something that was used up entirely. It helped me. I hope you stick with your plan!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:23:51 AM by -Doug- »
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.