Author Topic: Newbie Question Regarding Razor Blade Life  (Read 5032 times)

Offline EddieWit

• Learning the way of Sly
Newbie Question Regarding Razor Blade Life
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
Hi Everyone!

My name is Eddie and I'm a new baldie.  ^-^ I've been shaving my head, daily, since New Year's Eve.  So far, my favorite razors for the job are my fat-handled Tech & my red-tip Superspeed.  I've been using Derby Extra blades mostly with the red-tip and Astra blades for the Tech and they both deliever fantastic shaves for the face.  For face shaving, the Astra blades have lasted me about 6 shaves and the Derby blades have lasted about 4-5 shaves.  However, for head shaving, both the blades only seem to last me ONE head shave, and they start acting dull toward the end of the shave, during the 2nd pass against the grain.  I start shaving my head with the grain, then I go against the grain. So far, I haven't even had a nick, because I go Very slow and easy...So far, a head shave takes me about 45 minutes!  And forget about using shaving soap and lather, because I have to lather about 4 times, which makes it take even longer.  Therefore, until I get faster, I've been using only shaving oil with no problems.  I'm taking a while getting up to speed because I just recently began shaving, again, with a safety razor since last November.  Before that, I only had time for an electric razor.

Anyway, has anyone else found that their blades don't last nearly as long for head shaving, as compared to face shaving?

It's nice to be here and I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: Newbie Question Regarding Razor Blade Life
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 12:23:27 AM »
I haven't shaved my face in a long time, but my blades last longer on my head than they ever did on my face. But of course even at 30 I have significant MPB, I can grow less hair than my father can at 65, and I always thought he was fairly receeding while I was growing up.  My blades last about 10-12 shaves comfortably, I use Gillette Mach3.
But enjoy your shaving, and the smooth feel
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:04:18 AM »
Hi Eddie, nice to have you here, why not post an introduction.

I use a double edge razor with Astra blades, and a blade lasts me 1 or 2 shaves. I have to do my entire head and most of my face. The blades are so cheap, you can toss them after 1 use. You should try shaving soap and brush. Once it's lathered up, it's easy to reapply several times. It also enhances the shaving experience.

Why did you decide to headshave, and what we're the reactions?

Mike
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
Welcome to the board, Eddie.

My sly anniversary is New Year's Day. I use the Fusion, and normally can get over a week's worth of daily morning shaves out of a cartridge. Then again, I only shave the scalp's horseshoe.

It is good that you are taking the time to become accustomed to shaving your head. Haste when you are beginning can lead to some bad cuts. With practice, the time it takes will get much shorter. I am down to about three minutes in the shower.

As for the shaving soap or oil, do whatever works best for you. When I shave on the evening, I use my brush and dad's old mug with a double edge. I also take my time. My trick to keeping it hot is to wet just the brush and lather only the section I will shave next rather than the whole head.

Glad you joined us. And please post an introduction.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »
Sharpener/ Cleaner https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005BQ7Y98/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_jUQJwbC9GS3W3
I use one of these and they double the life of a cartridge

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
I have used several blades but went back to the Mach3 as for me it is trouble free and blades last quite a good time. With the DE i found even if i was careful i would get the odd cut which was a pain!

A good brush and lather is a must however you shave!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
I use a Gillette Fusion and go through a cartridge a week for the combo of face and head shaving.  That's about half the blade life I used to get when I shaved only my face.  After about a week, I notice more tugging at the stubble as I shave and sometimes get razor burn on the temples, so a new cartridge makes sense.

Taking it slow makes sense.  You'll soon master a technique that works for you and things will speed up.  Try using HeadSlick on your scalp.  I find that it lubricates well.

And - Welcome to the club!

Offline EddieWit

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Where would be the best place to post an introduction? I don't want to post in the wrong category...& would an introduction be a good place to post before and after pics (and for feedback on if I can really sport the Sly look or not) or would those pictures go under a different category from an introduction?

Thanks, again.  I've really learned a lot on this site.

Best regards,

Eddie

P.S. I came across a great idea for a multiple razor display stand. What would be the best category for that discussion?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »
Welcome, Eddie!

The advice in the posts before mine was pretty good, I don't have much to add.

To post an introduction, Look for the Introductions thread under "Discussions about being Bald"

To post something related to safety razor shaving, look for the "Safety Razor Head Shaving" thread under "Head Shaving, Grooming and Care"

You can post pictures in your introduction thread by clicking on either "Attachments and other options" or you can click on "Post Image" to add photos.

Once again, thanks for joining, and enjoy!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »
I only get one or two good shaves from a blade, no matter what brand I use.  I just started tossing them after one use.  The Astras are only like 10 cents, so it's still a fraction of the cost of carts.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 07:29:57 AM »
I use carts on my head (Dorco pace 4/hb4) and I average 2-4 shaves per cart.  Now keeping in mind I am BBC and have very thick hair I'll always get 2 great shaves with the first 2 uses, a passable shave with the 3rd use, and a "well... This is better then stubble" shave with the 4th use including some neck/nape irritation.  I don't always bother with the 4th use but I try to squeeze every penny I can out and as my technique improves, so does that 4th shave.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air