Author Topic: Use rubber bands in your beard?  (Read 6613 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Use rubber bands in your beard?
« on: December 22, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
Do you use rubber bands in your beard to braid it, plait it, dreadlock it, pony tail it, or anything else?  Here are some tips:

1) Do not use rubber bands that are just miniature versions of the real rubber bands you'd get from an office supply store.  They break hair: see the internet for details on that.  Instead use real hair bands that are about the same size but look like shiny rubber bands up close.  They are made from a stretchy hair-safe plastic or poly material and don't break hair like real rubber bands

2) Do you use the popular jojoba oil in your beard?  These break down those little bands within a matter of minutes if they are high exposed to it. In fact I rub mine in jojoba oil before I go through the process of removing mine so that they are easier to remove.  I recently decided to experiment with castor oil and found that it did not break down one of these bands (I wrapped it around a little bottle, rubbed it in castor oil, and let it sit 10 hours)

Jojoba oil is very liquid and flows a lot like motor oil while castor oil is gooier and seems to be more like maple syrup.  From what I read it also has the benefit of stimulating hair to grow a lot like this other oil called "snake oil" lol.  That being said, the nice thing about castor is that it is skin friendly and has no odor.

You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Use rubber bands in your beard?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
It will be several months before I will be even close to addressing such a "problem" (see below)

Thanks for the info on jojoba oil. I have been conditioning my beard with castor oil every other night for about two weeks, and it really has softened the hair and made it less unruly - and it is incredibly cheap.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:09:28 PM »
You're on your way though! O0
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 08:48:08 PM »
I don't think id ever want to tie my beard up  or that it would ever get to  a length for it. im probably nearing where I wanna be with mine.