Author Topic: Disappointing  (Read 4664 times)

Offline TheDome

• Sly Jr.
  • Growing old disgracefully
Disappointing
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
Treated myself to a semi professional head shave today. He's a guy who has done it for me before and it's always been great, but today, not so much. He's a professionally trained barber but hasn't done a lot of actual head shaving (hence semi pro). Felt great while he was doing it, and great for around 30 minutes, then the sandpaper effect started to appear. I'm not sure what went wrong. He wrapped my head in warm, damp towels, exfoliated etc etc, and the blade was super sharp, but still... Sandpaper. Maybe my genes are changing and my hair is starting to grow super fast :(

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Disappointing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »
It is not your genetics. It is your barber's timidity.

I have had more than one unsatisfactory barber shave. They do not appear scared to shave the beard closely, but get uneasy with the head. Maybe they think the scalp is too delicate for the blade.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline TheDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:29:59 PM »
I'm sure you're right. I shaved it again tonight so all is well :)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »
Well two reasons:

1.  In barber school they teach us to NEVER shave against the grain on the head.

2.  A straight razor is just a single blade.  There is no way that it can shave as well as a Mach III or the like.

But the magic of a barbershop shave is the hot towels and the pampering! 

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:02:03 AM »
And those hot towels and pampering are why I will continue to go back for more, Semi.

"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »
A barber shop head shave is a good and enjoyable experience, but your result is typical.  Semi gave you the main reasons.  Another thing is that we all have experience with shaving our heads to get it as smooth as we can.  The barber does not have the experience with our individual head.

I have only had a couple of barber shop head shaves, both at an "Art of Shaving" shop in the mall.  I might would do it more often if I had a barber that did them closer to my home in a different setting - I do not really like getting a head shave in a window at a mall.
SlyBeard

Offline TheDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
A barber shop head shave is a good and enjoyable experience, but your result is typical.  Semi gave you the main reasons.  Another thing is that we all have experience with shaving our heads to get it as smooth as we can.  The barber does not have the experience with our individual head.

I have only had a couple of barber shop head shaves, both at an "Art of Shaving" shop in the mall.  I might would do it more often if I had a barber that did them closer to my home in a different setting - I do not really like getting a head shave in a window at a mall.

I agree. I've used Art of Shaving too. I have to admit, I like to show off the final result, but I didn't enjoy having an audience while the final result was being worked on.

I think I'll give up on pro head shaves. I enjoy the pampering side of it but if the end result isn't as good as I can do myself, it's just a waste of time and money.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »

I agree. I've used Art of Shaving too. I have to admit, I like to show off the final result, but I didn't enjoy having an audience while the final result was being worked on.

I think I'll give up on pro head shaves. I enjoy the pampering side of it but if the end result isn't as good as I can do myself, it's just a waste of time and money.

All of the above points are good. However, I would like to add my 0.02

I only did The Art of Shaving once...and it wasn't even the one close to my house. But this Art of Shaving Location was in the middle of the mall, and the barber's chair was in a back room away from the window where customers could not see it. Granted, it cost $55+tip, but the barber at this location was very professional and was keenly interested in his work. In fact, I still have his business card.

Now, when I go to a barber shop for a headshave, I usually go on Tuesday or Wednesday when there are few or no customers. The two or three barbershops I go to are usually by appointment, but with Tuesday and Wednesday being the slowest days, they will take the extra time on your head. A couple of times, they shaved so well, I didn't have to shave over it like I usually do. Depending on the barber and the volume of business, they might go over your head a second time if you request it.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
I've had a few headshaves in different parts of the world eg Australia, China, India, Myanmar but on each occasion felt disappointed with the smoothness of the 'finished' product.  I think I do better myself.  However the pampering was nice.
Roger

Offline TheDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »

All of the above points are good. However, I would like to add my 0.02

I only did The Art of Shaving once...and it wasn't even the one close to my house. But this Art of Shaving Location was in the middle of the mall, and the barber's chair was in a back room away from the window where customers could not see it. Granted, it cost $55+tip, but the barber at this location was very professional and was keenly interested in his work. In fact, I still have his business card.

Now, when I go to a barber shop for a headshave, I usually go on Tuesday or Wednesday when there are few or no customers. The two or three barbershops I go to are usually by appointment, but with Tuesday and Wednesday being the slowest days, they will take the extra time on your head. A couple of times, they shaved so well, I didn't have to shave over it like I usually do. Depending on the barber and the volume of business, they might go over your head a second time if you request it.

Thanks a lot, some great tips there

I've had a few headshaves in different parts of the world eg Australia, China, India, Myanmar but on each occasion felt disappointed with the smoothness of the 'finished' product.  I think I do better myself.  However the pampering was nice.

I agree, the pampering is great, but just like you, I do a better job myself, so I think that's what I'll stick to from now on.

Enter your email address: