Author Topic: When to Call it a Day (with pics)  (Read 10389 times)

Offline tellersquill

• Sly Guy in Training
When to Call it a Day (with pics)
« on: November 15, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
I've been losing my hair around my temples for the past six years. It started when I was twenty-two and has slowly progressed during my twenties. At first it didn't bother me, it wasn't a big issue and it was happening so slowly. However, over the past year its starting to become noticeable, especially on a windy day and when wet.

I decided not to take pills to cure it as I'm not willing to risk my sexual health for a bit more hair (especially when it doesn't always work). So I have to accept that one day I will be bald.

In one sense I'm glad I've made it to twenty-eight. I know young women can be more judgemental so in many ways I am lucky that I've kept the hair for so long. However, I think the vain side of me is concerned with losing 'my looks'.

At the moment, and as you can see from pictures, the hairline has significantly receded, yet when styled you can hardly tell.

When do you make the judgement call on when to take the plunge and shave it?

What do you think?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:43:53 AM by tellersquill »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: When to Call it a Day (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:46:16 PM »
You still have hair and if you are happy with, that is what counts.  As you can style it now and mostly cover it, you will have to decide if you want to take matters into your own hands before it becomes mo obvious or wait.  I was in the take action before it was noticeable group, but many here waited.  There is no correct answer that fits all.
SlyBeard

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
Only you can make that call, brother. Yes, your hairline is receding. No, it's not super noticeable, and I wouldn't yet refer to you as "balding."

Be comfortable with what you have, and try different things. I think bald is a great option, but don't do it because you think you have to resort to some kind of "doomsday scenario" for your head! You're far from being in a desperate hair situation, man.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you keep worrying about whether you look like you're balding and wondering if "young women" are holding out on you because of your hair. Be you.

Offline tellersquill

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
You still have hair and if you are happy with, that is what counts.  As you can style it now and mostly cover it, you will have to decide if you want to take matters into your own hands before it becomes mo obvious or wait.  I was in the take action before it was noticeable group, but many here waited.  There is no correct answer that fits all.

I think I'm in the in between stage. When its styled I look fine, but when the wind blows you can tell its receding. I think I don't like the idea of 'hiding it' though.

I might wait until I get a few weeks holiday from work, shave it off, see if it looks good, and if it doesn't it will at least be a little grown back by the time people see me.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »
I might wait until I get a few weeks holiday from work, shave it off, see if it looks good, and if it doesn't it will at least be a little grown back by the time people see me.

I think that's a great plan.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:31:37 PM »
I don't think your recession is bad enough that you can't enjoy your hair at the moment.  On the other hand, I really enjoy not having hair, so if you're curious, there is no harm in shaving and seeing what that is like.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »
If it were me I'd let that hair keep on growing for a while. Doesn't look bad to me.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »
You could try buzzing it first if it is bothering you.
If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 10:15:19 PM »
It looks fine the way it is but knowing that things are only going to get worse can be stressful.  The one comment we hear from the vast majority of guys who shave their heads is that they wish they had done it sooner.  I wish I had.  So if you can bring yourself to do it -- go for it.

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 12:43:06 AM »
It looks like you have several years ahead of you, when the patches over your temples connect, I would say take it off.
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 04:03:03 AM »
I'll vote for BBC, but it is just that. Bald by choice.  No NEED to shave your head now, however if you want to embrace the bald look, you can do that at any time.  Just like others of us on SBG who choose to shave our heads a bald head is a nice option, in my opinion. I don't have to shave my head, just like you don't have to shave your head. But you could.

Do you have to shave your head to hide some balding ... I don't see that.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 04:54:35 AM »
I think you still have great coverage, but if you want to try if for curiosity, why not?
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tellersquill

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 06:30:47 AM »
Thanks for the positive feedback!

I think because I can cover it well then it starts to feel like I'm hiding it. If I wasn't concerned about other peoples reactions then I would probably try it out today.

I'm also thinking of doing a Mohawk. I know raul merielles did it for years to hide the receding temples

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
Like the others have said, you've still got plenty of hair...yes it's receding but noting noticeable. It think it's up to you. If it were me, I'd leave it. Rock the Mohawk too!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 11:48:51 PM »
do not pass up the opportunity to rock a mohawk for a while once in your life.  The day will come when you will no longer have this option - so DO IT and ENJOY if for a good long while!!!