Confidence and Success > Business/Work

Beard in the workplace?

<< < (3/3)

Laser Man:
My company is fairly conservative, but neither shaved heads nor beards are uncommon in our white collar / professional staff.  The main thing is to look neat and professional and come across as poised and confident. 

If you decided to shave before the interviews and then grow your beard back, I don't think you're being deceitful.  It's not much different than a guy getting a really good haircut just before going for an interview, then letting his hair grow after getting the job.

wpruitt:

--- Quote from: Razor X on November 02, 2015, 07:28:14 PM ---Also, go on LinkedIn and see if you can find the people who are going to interview you -- it's a good way to prepare for whatever questions they might ask you.  If there are pictures and if one of them has a beard, you know you have nothing to worry about!

--- End quote ---
Good idea ... Had never thought about trying to blend into the corporate culture with looks.

ThePangolin:
Ive found it interesting that in my field (private contract Officer), we are not supposed to have any facial hair. All documentation includes policies that reflect the need for a clean shaven face, not only to prevent a non-professional look, but also to keep the uniform look between officers.

When I first started in this field, my first interview i decided to keep my facial hair, but trim it well and not say a word about it. The best way to avoid an issue is to keep your mouth shut. Thankfully, i didnt say a word and the interviewer brought my beard up on his own, and asked "are you willing to remove your facial hair if we offer you the job?", to which i replied "well Sir, i will do what i need to do to obtain and retain this job."

After a few weeks of hiring processes and training, i still had no shaven my beard and mustache. My interviewer (now boss) mentioned in passing about three weeks after hiring "you need to get that beard shaved off, or at the least do a small short goatee like mine." I replied "yes sir, i will trim it." (Notice i said trim, not shave)

I worked under that captain for six months and never altered my facial hair. It was never brought up again.

Now i have worked in a position under a new captain for 8 months, and have never been asked to shave my facial hair at all, even during the interviews and training. About six months into this job i had formed a great relationship with my captain who happened to be a Christian like me, and i asked "sir, why hasn't my beard been a issue?" And he said "Well, when you walked into my office for your interview i knew i needed you to work with us, and the beard never bothered me a bit. If bending that rule is what it takes to have you with us, i can make that exception. Just dont rub it in to anyone else that im letting you keep a beard!"

So all that to say i suppose having facial hair depends on your job field, and on how people perceive and value you. If you are humble and authoritative and prove you are an asset, your minor discrepancies will likely be overlooked. Besides, unless there is a strict rule against facial hair that cannot or will not be bent, or you have a horribly unkept (or any beard larger than half an inch in length) you shouldnt have any issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version