Author Topic: Not digging the look, nor is anyone else.  (Read 34458 times)

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
Re: Not digging the look, nor is anyone else.
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
you could be related to John Travolta...

and that's probably the issue because JT doesn't look good with a shaven head.

JT doesn't look good in general. He did when he was younger. I m sure the comment was based on the chin dimple mainly.

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »
Well he has a point .
Also there is a difference between bald/shaven by choice and a guy who is balding and shaves.
And a difference between young man balding and a 40-60 person who is balding.
Its just that if your super balding hard and it just looks really bad its better to shave
But you must agree that baldness not by choice makes you less attractive
Because come on whats better: shaven head with a full hair line with no thin spots or a shaven head without some kind of a hairline shadow thingy.

I agree. Shaven down head while still having a shadow of a normal hairline looks good. When balding it is not the same, it is going to look worse, and yes it does matter on the age of the person.

Offline dart24

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »

I agree. Shaven down head while still having a shadow of a normal hairline looks good. When balding it is not the same, it is going to look worse, and yes it does matter on the age of the person.
[/quote]

Yeah at young age it hurts when you see all your friend's and people at your age and higher without this problem.
From the pictures i saw most guy's in this site are old people and at that age i think it wont matter much also some of them have normal hair and just shave.
I now look different at bald people like i can see if the guy is young and bald but when i showed my friend this site he said "well from what i see most people from the photos are old" he even thought most young men here like 22 with bald shaved head looked like 40...saw that kinda makes me feel not that good.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2015, 10:10:49 PM »
From the pictures i saw most guy's in this site are old people
"old people"? Really?

and at that age i think it wont matter much
Yeah, because us over-the-hill "older people" don't matter much.

Or maybe there's something about maturity that keeps us from obsessing about small sh*t that doesn't matter?

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »
From the pictures i saw most guy's in this site are old people
"old people"? Really?

and at that age i think it wont matter much
Yeah, because us over-the-hill "older people" don't matter much.

Or maybe there's something about maturity that keeps us from obsessing about small sh*t that doesn't matter?

I think the point he is trying to make is that when people are older, looks are not as important, especially in regards to dating. That is what most guys are concerned about. Guys in there 20s and most of there 30s hair loss is going to cause some problems in that regard. I have certainly experienced it no matter how confident, humorous etc I present myself. It is not that older people's opinions are insignificant or anything like that, it is just that it is a different phase of life where emphasis is put on different areas. Also, in the fast few decades, it has become more important to what a guy looks like, much more so than in the past.

Also, this site in general is overwhelmingly positive. Which is a good thing, but it also carries a level of fakeness. Everyone says everybody looks good with a head shaved. It lacks honesty and I am glad some people here are given me the truth, and it is what I exp in the real world as well.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
I think the point he is trying to make is that when people are older, looks are not as important, especially in regards to dating.
Right, because, well hey, old people aren't really people anymore. Their feelings don't matter. In fact, we probably stop having feelings at all, am I right? And anyone who's alone when they are old should stay that way, because, well, "old".

Sorry, but the marginalization of people because of age is huge pet peeve of mine. "Old people" are still people.

it is just that it is a different phase of life where emphasis is put on different areas.
Tell you what, when you get "old" lets have this conversation again. Because, you know, "different phase of life" an all.

Also, in the fast few decades, it has become more important to what a guy looks like, much more so than in the past.

But only for the young, I guess.

Everyone says everybody looks good with a head shaved. It lacks honesty and I am glad some people here are given me the truth

Your statement contradicts itself. And I can assure you for one, that I never say anything I do not mean. When I say that I think someone looks good, I mean it.

Offline dart24

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
Nobody Say's nothing bad about old people.
But try to understand me.
At my age most men have hair, at ages 40-50 most have some kind of baldness,just think that it doesn't feel so good feeling like you are different from the rest, at older ages its fine by most people.

At my age i have no girlfriend no wife and nothing and i am into young women like 18-24 and you must understand that baldness might ruin my chances,at 40-50 most of the time you are already married and i dont think you will be hunting 18-23 year old girls.

Baldness is a sign of old age as wrinkles,gray hair and other stuff which people at 40-50 normally have
Now people at 18-30 normally dont have those stuff.

Shaven head is the best natural thing you can do. i am really not trying to offend you just understand my point.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
As you get older...and hopefully wiser....it suddenly dawns on you that there is very little that can be done about your looks....but that doesn't mean you give up caring what you look like....you just give slightly less of a sh!+ about it...saves spending a fortune too!

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »
Even though I'm married, I still care what I look like to my wife. And, to be honest, it's still nice for other women to be attracted to me, even though I'm "off the market."

Some of what happens as we get older is that we see how quickly trends come and go and we realize that we don't have the energy, funds, or inclination to do the work to stay on top of every trend that comes along. I've got my wardrobe pretty set and I know my wife isn't reading magazines to figure out what the latest celebrity hairstyle for women is.

We definitely care what we look like, it's just that for most of us, our target market isn't twenty-somethings. And that's actually pretty damn liberating.

As an aside, I remember when I thought one of my friends (who had just turned 27) was "old." But "old" keeps getting farther away, the older I get. May it happen to you as well.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »
As an aside, I remember when I thought one of my friends (who had just turned 27) was "old." But "old" keeps getting farther away, the older I get. May it happen to you as well.

"Old" is whatever your age currently is + 20 years.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2015, 01:33:03 PM »
and i dont think you will be hunting 18-23 year old girls.

I'll gloss over the misogyny implied by the word "hunting", but yeah, my preferred range has always been men over 40.

Shaven head is the best natural thing you can do. i am really not trying to offend you just understand my point.
I understand your point. But your marginalization of older men is still evident. I suppose perspective will come with maturity.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »
In some exchanges there almost inevitably comes a point that one could liken it to repeatedly striking one's own head with a hammer. It feels so good when one stops.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »
Here's my perspective on age:  I have two young adult daughters and was asked by a friend what was my favorite stage / age in their lives.  I answered there wasn't a "favorite age" because they were all good and different, so I couldn't possibly single one out as my favorite.  Was it great reading them bedtime stories or enjoying the magic of seeing Santa with them?  Of course, but it's also great being able to sit and talk with them now over a good dinner and glass of wine. 

The beauty and joy of life is that there are great things at every stage.  You just have to look for them.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
Well said!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2015, 10:04:09 PM »
One of the nice things about being mature is that one has generally learned to be less superficial.  We don't stop caring about how we look but we accept that a lot of how we look is beyond our control and stop obsessing about it.  We don't expect people to feel sorry for us because we no longer have a full head of hair.  We .... Just .... Deal With It and get on with enjoying life.   ::)