Author Topic: Not digging the look, nor is anyone else.  (Read 34461 times)

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
Not digging the look, nor is anyone else.
« on: September 28, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
Came back home for vacation with my head buzzed down to a 1. My dad acted as if he was embarrassed of me, even though he went bald by early 20s, my sister does t seem to care, mom told me I looked handsome, mainly because of my clothes, I'm sure she was just trying to convince herself.

Some of my friends from the past, girls who use to think I was hot, seemed to even want to talk to me or associate with me. A couple other girls seemed kind of interested, but I use to have a reputation as a ladies man, even though they kind of thought I was older than all my friends...they seemed intrigued.

Pretty much hate this, I can see girls when they talk to me looking up at my hair and then just losing interest. I'm not sure how many others remain so positive, or if it is a defense mechanism. Yes I'm 33 now, but not all that old to be considered out of the dating game. I am in shape, have good facial feature, but I'm white, almost pale due to being norweigen. Not really thinking the idea of tanning year round is a good idea or healthy. I am also 5 ft 7. I have been growing it out again slowly, not feeling that I should keep it this way for now. I have about an NW3, but can grow it out fairly decent to appoint where the loss is not too noticeable.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Not digging the look, nor is anyone else.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
No pic?

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
Here is one recent and one with hair grown out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:34:45 PM by oakdan5 »

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Has it been thirty days already? A big part of the reason for the thirty days is to allow both you and your friends and family to get over the surprise of the change and become accustomed to the smooth head.

Ultimately, however, you need to do what makes you happy. If that means growing it out, then do it.

"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:01:43 PM »
Do what you must, but bear in mind that your hair loss is not going to reverse itself.  You can either deal with this now and get it over with or kick the can down the road, but sooner or later you are going to have to face it.  The people who don't like it now aren't going to like it any better a few years from now.  Based on your pictures, it looks just fine.  You have nothing to feel self-consicous about.

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »
Has it been thirty days already? A big part of the reason for the thirty days is to allow both you and your friends and family to get over the surprise of the change and become accustomed to the smooth head.

Ultimately, however, you need to do what makes you happy. If that means growing it out, then do it.

Yes it has been nearing 2 months. I actually do not mind it too much, but the amount of negativity from women I s overwhelming. I just dislike how it is viewed as a very negative trait and people think less you and believe it is ok to treat you as less. None of my male friends care, a little ribbing here and there, but they don't treat as less, even got a few Jason atsthman comments. My main concern is dating tbh. A lot of women seem to make a huge deal out of it, esp when younger. It seems like a lot of guys here are already married and in the later years. It makes me concerned about getting hitched honestly, even if I go out walking with confidence, it is still a major drawback.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:39:21 PM by oakdan5 »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »
So what's the plan as the hair loss progresses?

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
Kind of feel like my dating life will be over tbh. It is hard to tell but I have some wrinkles under my eyes as well as a result of poor sun protection when I was younger. With my hair shaved my age goes from ppl thinking I am in my mid to late 20s to upwards of low 40s. It does not feel good to be honest, like my social life just will get worse and worse.  I looked fine before it was shaved, I had an overwhelming urge to shave it when down in Florida. It shouldn't matter as much but being short already I have become non-desirable.

I know a large part of this older perception is the wrinkles I have under my eyes. They are pretty bad for someone my age and don't know why it is so bad. It likely has to do with lack of sun care and drinking a lot through my 20s. It seems with the combination of hairloss and wrinkles it make me look much older than I am. When my hair is grown out I still get told I look younger. I have contemplated doing something about them, maybe Botox or some kind of peel. It is certainly premature and it makes me look older than I should.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:56:30 AM by oakdan5 »

Offline baldaholic

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 01:35:54 AM »
Hello oakdan,

I think you look fine.
In my experience with hairloss, the buzzed look can expose the hairloss and make you look younger, while a smooth shaved head makes you look ageless.
:-)

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:22:04 AM »
I think it's a good look, clean head, great physical shape, you could be related to John Travolta...but that's my opinion.

I've been at the confidence crossroads in the past...it sucks...it sucks rocks....I survived/thrived and by some strange force of nature, discovered I'm actually happy with who I am...once I reached that level of acceptance (self-acceptance), those around me actually enjoyed my company...my confidence increased as a result...
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 06:32:09 AM »
Yup, a shaved head is not for everyone. I think you look ok, but your lack of confidence shows through to everybody. When I see guys with a shaved head, I usually think "wow that looks great". From the minute I first shaved my full head of hair off, I thought I looked better. No problem attracting women either. So, bottom line, either you like shaving bald, or you don't. Just do what you think is best for you.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline J_Dub

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 09:48:50 AM »
Oakdan,

I'm 33 yo with a lot of the same issues as you.  My honest opinion is to grow it out or shave it.  Normally I don't tell people to shave their head, because there is enough of that going around.  You will truly have no problem either way.  You've got a great build and good facial structure.  You'll be fine.  The reason I think you're getting the reaction to the #1, is because it's kind of in-between.  Nobody likes a tweener  :).  Be one or the other and you'll be fine.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »
I agree with the others:

1.  Your hair loss is not going to get better, so you can either embrace this and walk out in confidence, or you can allow your indecision to show through.

2.  It is the buzzcut that is actually drawing attention to the hair loss!!  Women look up and see your retreating hairline.  If you would actually shave your head there is nothing to attract attention to your hairline or hair loss!  With the shaved head peoples' eyes are naturally attracted directly to your eyes, (and not the little lines you complain of).  My honest opinion is that if you would just embrace this and go for the full shave that you will both look and FEEL much better about yourself.  You will gain a new confidence about your masculinity, (and with your build who wouldn't be confident!).  This confidence will shine through and you will no longer be turning women off as you have been doing with your poor attitude!

3.  If you really feel bad about your eyes it is no big think to get a Blepharoplasty - but it is very expensive.  I have had it done.  My advice is to wait until you are over 50 and there are noticeable bags under your eyes.  Otherwise, it isn't worth the cost or the recovery.

Bottom line:
a.  You are one good looking man
b.  Your attitude is what needs changing, not your eyes or your hairline
c.  Grab a razor, shave off the scraps, and walk proud!  Damn proud!!!
Do this and you will go from "Dud" to "Stud"!  I guarantee it!!!!

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
I can agree that the in between look is the worst compared to having hair grown out or shaved down. It's been growing for 1.5 weeks so it's easily at a 2 now. The 1 itself conceals the hairline fairly well. It was a comment I overheard from a girl about me it was in the eeww manner when she described me to another as bald and pale. I think having fair skin is the worst to pull off the bald look. Sure I could go tanning but it will just make the wrinkles worse and is not healthy. For now I will grow it out, because I was doing fine like that before and my hairline and everything look the same since I did it 2 years ago. Didn't even think of my hair much then. But if it starts going further back then I will reconsider. To switch from propecia to dut.

One thing I don't buy is the confidence thing. I have over the years developed a way to appear extremely confident to everyone ESP after a few drinks. It's the look not my presence. The thing with the eye wrinkles, I never even thought about it before but have had multiple women bring it up, has happened with or w/o hair. I look at my friends my age and none of them have any the way I do, it makes me feel ancient around them when they have hair and skin the same as when they were in early 20s.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:47:48 AM by oakdan5 »

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 12:32:38 PM »
Sorry Dan; I just don't agree.

I used to think the same way you do when I was drinking!  But drinking was not my problem; thinking was my problem!

A little "tough love" here:

The only things about you that you need to change are:
1.  Your attitude about yourself, and;
2.  The type of shallow women you hang around with