Author Topic: Wife: I don't have to like it, do I?  (Read 12047 times)

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
Re: Wife: I don't have to like it, do I?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
This bothers me, how a lot of women these days feel so entitled and that harassing and insulting there significant others about a physical feature is ok by a modern day society. If men do this there are considered shallow terrible people. Feminist at its worse. I honestly don't know if I would want to stay married to someone who treated me like that over something like hair.

My wife wasn't crazy about my bald head, since it brought up memories of her chemotherapy; and I have posted this in the past.  However, my wife didn't resort to such snide language like that; and she learned to live with my dome. 

To me, the wife's insults are immature-pure and simple.  Like Oakdan stated, it's sad that women feel they have this "carte blanche" to insult their men's looks (despite being accepted by society).  Then these same women wonder why their relationships suck.  If men started to verbally retaliate the way these women did, the divorce rate in America would be 85%!

Save for my wife's sister (who also didn't dig the dome), the rest of our families were cool with it.  My son got a kick out of it. My sisters dealt with it, as did our cousins and aunts.  People at church and work were cool with it.  My friends-even those I grew up with-were cool with it.

Wifey just needs to get over it.
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
Re: Wife: I don't have to like it, do I?
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
This bothers me, how a lot of women these days feel so entitled and that harassing and insulting there significant others about a physical feature is ok by a modern day society. If men do this there are considered shallow terrible people. Feminist at its worse. I honestly don't know if I would want to stay married to someone who treated me like that over something like hair.

My wife wasn't crazy about my bald head, since it brought up memories of her chemotherapy; and I have posted this in the past.  However, my wife didn't resort to such snide language like that; and she learned to live with my dome. 

To me, the wife's insults are immature-pure and simple.  Like Oakdan stated, it's sad that women feel they have this "carte blanche" to insult their men's looks (despite being accepted by society).  Then these same women wonder why their relationships suck.  If men started to verbally retaliate the way these women did, the divorce rate in America would be 85%!

Save for my wife's sister (who also didn't dig the dome), the rest of our families were cool with it.  My son got a kick out of it. My sisters dealt with it, as did our cousins and aunts.  People at church and work were cool with it.  My friends-even those I grew up with-were cool with it.

Wifey just needs to get over it.

I honestly think some of it is because both men and women are taught that it's feminine to care about one's appearance, so I think that many women don't think that men are really hurt by comments about their appearance. A woman would never tell a female friend that it looks like she has put on a few pounds, but guys will totally rib each other about their gut or about their receding hairline. Because us guys are mostly taught not to let on that we care about how we look.

Women are just treating us the way our culture teaches them to. Good looking guys in the movies don't spend half an hour trimming their beard scruff just right or fussing over a zit. The movies don't even show us that Bruce Willis has to shave his head every single morning to keep it that sly!

So even when we do take care of our appearance, we have to pretend that we don't care, lest we be accused of being "metrosexuals." And we have to pretend that nothing hurts our feelings, lest we be accused of being over-sensitive. It's a double standard that hurts both men and women. And it's why men and women often seem to be speaking two different languages at times.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.