Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Ruffnek

• Bearded bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
What am I doing wrong?
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:55:43 PM »
I went out and bought a DE kit at Wal Mart(Van der Hagen) and I'm having some trouble. Cartridge razors would get me smooth as silk but I just can't seem to get anywhere near that with the DE. After a shave, it feels like nothing has been taken off but I still have minor cuts and major irritation.

I've read different things and even watched YouTube videos on the subject but I'm not having good results.

Seeing as how everybody praises DE shaving, I'm assuming the problem lies with me? Please help!

Ruffnek

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:36:30 AM »
It is definitely a technique and it will take time to learn that technique that works for you.
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 06:05:23 AM »
Not all of us are DE users.

I found, though, that when I have used a DE, the angle at which I held the blade against my skin made a huge difference in how close and smooth a shave I got from it.

It definitely is a technique you learn with a little practice - and a few nicks.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 06:34:42 AM »
What blades are you using? You have to use a quality blade.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
DE razor is not for everyone,the cartridge razor is better for " some people". If the DE was the better razor the cartridge would not have gone mainstream.Granted they are overpriced,but for me a two or three blade cart. is smother and easier on the skin. I learned to shave on a DE and used one  for years.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
I was never able to get smooth with a DE either.  I decided it was not worth the effort or time for me when I had a good alternative that did the trick.
SlyBeard

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:48:54 PM »
I went out and bought a DE kit at Wal Mart(Van der Hagen) and I'm having some trouble. Cartridge razors would get me smooth as silk but I just can't seem to get anywhere near that with the DE. After a shave, it feels like nothing has been taken off but I still have minor cuts and major irritation.

I've read different things and even watched YouTube videos on the subject but I'm not having good results.

Seeing as how everybody praises DE shaving, I'm assuming the problem lies with me? Please help!

Shaving the traditional way is a lost art.  Many have chosen the easier way by shaving with cartridge razors or disposables.  As a former cartridge head shaver, I get the BEST HEAD AND FACE SHAVES with DE and SE razors. 

It took me about a week to get comfortable with my face shaves and about a month to get comfortable with my head shaves.  If you can be patient and persistent, you can also enjoy the process of shaving the traditional way.

Do YouTube researches on Mantic59, GeoFatboy, and NickShaves.  These YouTubers can help you with your technique.  Also, try getting some better equipment than the VanderHargen shave gear.  You should also join www.badgerandblade.com.  It is a wet shaving forum that has tons of excellent info on everything wet shaving.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.  I hope you do not give up.  Because wet shaving the traditional way makes shaving fun and enjoyable.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Ruffnek

• Bearded bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »
Ok. I got a pretty decent shave today with the DE. My next question is about after care. I've always used HeadBlade's Clear Head or Bump Patrol. Somehow my Bump Patrol has been misplaced and I've been using the Clear Head. Upon application there is a raging, all-consuming fire on my dome. Am I not supposed to use that type of aftershave or what? It feels like a forest fire up top!
Ruffnek

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »
Try rubbing your head with an ice cube first before applying the aftershave.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »
ClearHead has alcohol in it and a DE can be a little tougher on the skin, so the burn you experienced is common. Try an ice cube or very cold water before ClearHead. Or try a moisturizer that's alcohol free like Nivea after shave balm