Author Topic: Want to take the step, but having problem with ugly moles  (Read 2344 times)

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Sly Guy in Training
Want to take the step, but having problem with ugly moles
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
Hello! New here! 27 years old.

Well, my hair is slowly disappearing from my scalp, probably a 2-2A on the Norwood Scale. So it hasn't gone that much yet, but it looks silly when the hair is longer. That's why I at the moment keep it very short. But I'm more and more thinking about getting rid of it all. At least trimming it down without the guard on.

But I hesitate. I have some very ugly moles on my scalp. Most of them are small, but red, so they are visible. And I have at least one bigger, pretty dark one. I really hate the thought of these showing.

Well... My question is: is it possible to remove them easily? I'm planning to see a dermatologist and remove them surgically or with laser. Will there be scars?

Anyone here who had moles removed?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Want to take the step, but having problem with ugly moles
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »
Hey there Cap. 

I have had several moles removed from my scalp. 
- The dermatologist "burned" most of them off with a shot of liquid nitrogen.  This "freeze dries" the mole, it turns black, it falls off like a regular scab within a week.  Absolutely no scar.
- One or two of them, she suspected cancer and so took them off with the equivalent of a double-edged razor, (after numbing them first) and sent the "shave biopsy" into the lab to see whether or not she would have to cut deeper to get all of the cancer.  This caused a larger scab than the freezing process, but once again, no scar.
- Two of them on my arm came back as cancerous - and these had to be cut out rather deeply to ensure that all of the cancerous tissue was gone.  This required stitches to close the wound and this causes a small scar; but they are nice, flat, scars and after a couple of years I really have to search for them.

If, after you have them removed, one of them breaks open and bleeds like a stuck pig; do not freak out.  Your scalp has a magnificent blood supply and a tiny little wound can bleed like crazy for a minute or two before it stops. 

Bottom line:  Your scalp will be even more beautiful after the moles are removed.

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply. :)

Now I'm aware we're not living in the same country, but did it cost much to remove the moles? In my country, I've understood that cancerous moles will be removed for free, but that ordinary ones will cost around 100-200 dollars each!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:47:44 PM »
Well here it was all covered by insurance so I have no idea what the real cost was.  I usually only pay a co-pay charge and since this was done as an "office visit" each time it probably cost me about $30 each time