Author Topic: LOVE-LOCKED  (Read 7055 times)

BaldRob

LOVE-LOCKED
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:27:52 PM »
I saw this story in today's online edition of the Chicago Tribune and thought I'd share...

Scott Sheffield started growing out his hair with the same motive that spurs 13-year-old boys to do most things: "no particular reason."

But he decided to keep growing it for a year and a half, so he could donate it to Locks of Love, an organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair because of chemotherapy or disease.

After having to use "a bunch of shampoo and conditioner" and occasionally being mistaken for a girl, Scott, an 8th grader at North Park Elementary School in Chicago, achieved the necessary length of hair.

After getting his 10-inch-long ponytail cut off, Scott decided to get his head shaved. The next morning, on the last day of school, his classmates lined up to sign his scalp with multicolored permanent markers, an aqua "U look good bald," penned near a black "Kick Me!"

Scott hopes his hair will help make a sick child feel more like a regular kid again.

By Emily Stone locksoflove.org, 888-896-1588

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
Re: LOVE-LOCKED
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:02:08 PM »
Wow, what a selfless thing to do. What a sweet kid!
Karma'll see him right  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »
baldrob.... nice 2 c  a  little kid involved in a gr8 cause.  kewl story & thanks 4 sharing.  i bet his parents r proud. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

jusbnme

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing Baldrob.  Great story and a good kid. 

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »
That's a fine young man
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

JohnMont

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:32:02 AM »
baldrob.... nice 2 c  a  little kid involved in a gr8 cause.  kewl story & thanks 4 sharing.  i bet his parents r proud. O0

WARHAWK O0

I agree; great kid .
(btw ... Warhawk; sometimes u drive me CRAZY w/ y r  abbreviations !*!#@#!$!$ ) :x! :px

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:37:57 AM »
Thanks for posting that Rob. A little bit of light in an increasingly dark and cynical world.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:55:09 AM »
That's an awesome story!!  I'm sure his parents are proud for sure.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 03:28:51 AM »

(btw ... Warhawk; sometimes u drive me CRAZY w/ y r  abbreviations !*!#@#!$!$ ) :x! :px

Me 2.   :D

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 08:48:49 AM »
johnmont & razorx.... sorry dudes 'bout my abbreviations & all but if u ever c me writing whole words & NO abbreviations....then it would mean ONLY a few things:  1) i was kidnapped 2) murdered 3)or sick.  IF.... #1 &#2 ever happened 2 me.... please call the police or fbi...AND send them 2 florida 2 help with the investigation.   :popo

WARHAWK O0

JohnMont

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:56:25 AM »
will do, brother.  just to clarify; u do drive me nuts, but u wouldn't  B U without them ! !

John

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
will do, brother.  just to clarify; u do drive me nuts, but u wouldn't  B U without them ! !

John
THANKS, big brother john!  oh.... r u still keeping the mr. clean look?

WARHAWK O0

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:20:35 AM »
Great story BaldRob,

maybe we should award some kind of honorary Sly Guy award to such great kids!  O0

John

ha ha - totally agree!  O0  Keep 'em comin' warhawk!
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 12:12:24 PM »
Not to hijack this awesome post by BaldRob, but just consider Warhawk's code as a training lesson on how to decipher your kids IM and TXT MSGs.   >:D
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 01:01:24 PM »
BaldRob, great story, thanks for sharing!