Author Topic: As Above Not So Below  (Read 3405 times)

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
As Above Not So Below
« on: August 18, 2007, 03:39:01 PM »
Over the summer, I started shaving my head with a blade against the grain.  This is without a doubt the smoothest shave ever with little to no irritation, which is amazing on me 'cause I have that wimpy, baby skin that gets irritated if you look at it funny.  I want this kind of shave for my face, but unfortunately am unable to achieve it.   So I'm just wondering who among us has to deal with the smooth-top, scratchy bottom (hehe) and who has found the Holy Grail of Mr. Clean-itude?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: As Above Not So Below
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 12:42:41 AM »
I can't get my face as smooth as my head.  So, I'm also interested in what some of the guys say.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 06:01:10 AM »
Same problem here johnny, but don't know that you can ever get the face as close as the old noggin.  When you shave your head you have that hard surface of bone beneath, too much soft tissue on the face.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:25:06 AM »
Have a look here :
http://www.shavemyface.com/
and
http://badgerandblade.com/

Just for starters
I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

jusbnme

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 06:47:51 AM »
Yeah, I deal with it to.  Even though if I shave against the grain on my face I do get a "baby soft" feel for about as long as my dome stays stubble free.  The only thing is that my face gets real irritated if I go against the grain on it.  I mean REAL irritated.  Plus the next day when the stubble starts breaking back through I get some ingrown hairs here and there all over the face which, in turn, causes small pimples.  So to avoid all the mess I just shave with the grain on my face.  This thread makes me wonder though???  I wonder if I use the baby oil trick on my face like I do on my dome if that would help at all?  I mean, it doesn't clog the pores on my head and break me out so maybe it would work ok on my face.  I'm sure it would definitely help with the irritation.  Hmmm???  Any feedback on that?

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:19:43 AM »
Straight razor, practice, and time.  Smoothest shave I've ever had. 
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:55:11 AM »
Same problem here johnny, but don't know that you can ever get the face as close as the old noggin.  When you shave your head you have that hard surface of bone beneath, too much soft tissue on the face.
honestjohnny.... i think paul said it best.  i'm the same with the rest of the sly brahs on this subject.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
I had a look at the websites Ian suggested.  I think I'm going to try using an oil and cream on my face and see if that gets closer/produces less irritation.  I'll post on my findings.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
I've found that rubbin' yer face & neck in various directions to find "ruff" spots and against the grain strokes--like ya do with the noggin--helps quite a bit.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »
My only trouble area of shaving my face is the neck. I get very bad ingrown hairs and I just shave with the grain.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
I'm going to try using the sensor blades on my face also.  I don't think the fusion works very well for me, except for the blade on the end.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:56:38 PM »
My only trouble area of shaving my face is the neck. I get very bad ingrown hairs and I just shave with the grain.

Unfortunately, my neck is also horrible so I try to just go w/the grain which sucks because about 4 hrs later it looks like I haven't shaved my neck at all... unlike the dome which is smooooooooooooth.