Author Topic: Before and after... should i keep it shaved?  (Read 31822 times)

Offline cellison

• Sly Jr.
Before and after... should i keep it shaved?
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Hello all, new guy here.

I decided to shave my head a few days ago. Here are some before and after pics.

My wife does not like it at all but I told her I'm going to shave it every day for 30 days and see if she (and I) get used to it. I have shaved my head a few times in the past but always let it grow back right away to keep her happy. I doubt she'll decide she likes it after 30 days but if I still do I'm keeping it :)

I've never found a hairstyle I like and have what I like to call "cock-a-doodle-don't" look when my hair gets even a bit long. I'm not into hair gels etc so I figured I'd just get rid of it all. To be honest I really like the feeling of a bare scalp.

I realize bald doesn't suit everyone and have the option of going back to having hair so I'll just stick it out for 30 days and decide.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Before and after... should i keep it shaved?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »
Welcome!

I think that the sly look fits you well. However, I think your goatee was too good to shave off. That goatee would have complemented your shaved head well. That said, the glasses are a nice touch! Give your wife time, she may get used to it in 30 days.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »
I agree with Sir Harry, grow back the goatee or some facial hair to offset the sly dome.  It does take some time for wives to adjust, likely more than 30 days.
SlyBeard

Offline cellison

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. The goatee has been gone for a while, I have very sensitive skin and every time I grow a goatee it itches like crazy and I end up shaving it off. Maybe I'll try it again but keep it a lot shorter.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:09:41 PM »
Shaved but grow the face fur back.  8) There are beard balms that you might try to alleviate the itching.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05:26 AM »
I see what you meant by the phrase; "Cock a doodle don't". 

Absolutely! Sly is you!  You look great!

You can test fly a short goatee if you would like to, ( I keep my beard trimmed very short), but I think that you look just fine without it.  You look so much better clean cut than you did with the unruly hair and beard.

I don't think that you think about going back to the old look - even if your wife wants you to.  You definitely look a lot better now!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:16:22 AM »
Looks great, you should have kept the goatee, the itching should pass, if not there are balms etc that will help.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 03:08:56 AM »
I like the smooth bald feel too. 30 day rule is a really good deal.  Most people can adjust to your new look in that much time.

I'm BBC too! 

As you can see in the profile pictures of all of the guys who have responded to your original post, facial hair works with a bald head.  My experience with itching was the it usually lasts less than 1 week, at about 2 weeks into facial hair.  That was over 30 years ago, as I've had my beard that long.

Offline cellison

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
I'm on day 5 (shaved last Wednesday) and figure I'll use the end of February as the 30 day mark. So far I'm loving it and have no intention of stopping. One thing I hadn't considered is that my wife is getting used to it faster than I am since as she puts it "I see it more". I don't look in the mirror that often so I guess she has a point.

As per suggestions by almost all of you I'm growing out a goatee. Time will tell if I can get past the itch this time. :)

Thanks for the support!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
Great photo.  The bald noggin looks good.  My wife never complained about the bald head because I did it gradually, but did have a lot to say about the facial hair.  They do come around though.  My wife doesn't complain about my beard anymore.  In fact, I occassionally get a compliment  ;)
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline cellison

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
Great photo.  The bald noggin looks good.  My wife never complained about the bald head because I did it gradually, but did have a lot to say about the facial hair.  They do come around though.  My wife doesn't complain about my beard anymore.  In fact, I occassionally get a compliment  ;)

I don't know what you look like without facial hair but from your avatar I'd say it suits you quite well.

My wife says a goatee makes me look old since there's a lot of white hair in it. Oh well, I will be 53 shortly so I guess it makes me look my age :)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
I'm 51 and I think with facial hair, I look my age. I look younger without the facial hair, but I like it, so most of the time I have a goatee or some sort of beard.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »
My wife says a goatee makes me look old since there's a lot of white hair in it. Oh well, I will be 53 shortly so I guess it makes me look my age :)
We've earned every one of those white hairs. Wear them proudly!

Offline cellison

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
We've earned every one of those white hairs. Wear them proudly!

That's a good way to look at it. :)

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
I actually think the hair looks better - sorry!!