Author Topic: 1st DE in 35 Years.  (Read 3456 times)

Offline SimplySly

• Sly and Bearded
  • Ad Free Elite
  • Sly Jr.
1st DE in 35 Years.
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
I just bought a 1955 Gillette Super Speed safety razor on ebay in excellent condition.  Going to give it a go and see how it handles.  I learned how to shave with a Gillette Safety Razor in 1980.  My Dad insisted I learn on one and once I was shaving regular I could switch to what ever I wanted.  I used that razor for about a year once a weak and when my Beard really starting browning in I switched to the 2 blade Atra.

I am looking forward to taking the old Gillete for a spin.

Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: 1st DE in 35 Years.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »
Good luck, SS, I hope you have good results. I use the 1954 Super Speed my Dad gave me when I was 16. I never used it until last year, and just love it. (Thanks to Warhawk and the blades he sent me). What blades are you using. I use the Astra's but also liked the Feather's.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
Congrats and keep us posted on your DE journey.  If you have any questions... feel free to post up in the Safety Razor Section of the Forum or you can PM me if you want.  We are here to help you out and we hope that you will enjoy your DE journey.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SimplySly

• Sly and Bearded
  • Ad Free Elite
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
Thanks to both of you.  I am very excited to give it a try.  Reddog, I wished I still had the one my Father gave me but as a young man I didn't have any interest.  My son is 12 and I plan to get him a DE for his first razor as well.  Warhawk I don't know what blades I will use, any recommendations would be appreciated.  As you can see, I have a full beard so to start I will be shaving my neck and cheeks above my beard.  I'm a little nervous about shaving my head with it but will give it a go as well.  Any advice either of you could provide would be appreciated.

Kevin
Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »
Kevin, I only had a couple small knick when I started with the DE. As long as you go straight and slow, use smaller strokes, it's not too hard. I only shave ATG, and now I can use either hand. Keep reapplying soap. Still takes me about 30 minutes or more to shave, but it is quite enjoyable, and very smooth. The best thing about the DE, I never get any irritation.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »
Hi Kevin:  Kindly update us on your safety razor journey with pics if you are able.  We would love for you to participate and share your thoughts.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:06:17 AM »
Buy a sample pack of blades. That way you will get to try various makes. Better than buying a load of the same blade only to find out you dont like it.