Author Topic: Double edge razor for my head  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Treecutter

• Learning the way of Sly
Double edge razor for my head
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and am looking for some advice.

I have been shaving my head with  cartridge blades for several years but would like to make the switch to a double edge razor. I am looking for recommendations for my hair type plus any pointers that would make the transition go smoothly.

I have a full head of coarse hair that I shave three times a week.

What would be a good  handle and blade?

I currently do all my shaving in the shower and use no lotions or creams on my head or my face. What other items will I need to give me the best shave possible?

Thank you in advance for your input and help.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Double edge razor for my head
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »
Welcome, Treecutter!

A good starter DE razor is the Microtouch Razor which is sold at most drugstores and WalMart. You can get it for $20.00. Also, you can get a starter shaving brush, kit and soap for $25 at those same places. I would also invest in Shave Secret preshave oil which is sold for $4. Shave secret mixed with any shaving soap leads to a very smooth shave with almost no irritation. If you want to invest in more expensive razors and soaps you may have to shop online, though you can find some good deals on ebay and Amazon. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:10:07 PM »
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and am looking for some advice.

I have been shaving my head with  cartridge blades for several years but would like to make the switch to a double edge razor. I am looking for recommendations for my hair type plus any pointers that would make the transition go smoothly.

I have a full head of coarse hair that I shave three times a week.

What would be a good  handle and blade?

I currently do all my shaving in the shower and use no lotions or creams on my head or my face. What other items will I need to give me the best shave possible?

Thank you in advance for your input and help.
1st of all welcome to the sly fraternity.  If you are interested in DE and SE shaving, you are in for a real treat.  There are so many choices that it is impossible to pick which razor, blade, soap, cream, or brush.  If you are going to use a DE razor for your head, you will definitely need the right tools.

YMMV (your mileage may vary) relates to wet shaving.  Meaning what works for one may not work for another.  So I will give you some suggestions in hopes that it works for you.

As far as DE razors. . . the Edwin Jagger 89L (EJ89L) and Merkur 34C are great modern day
DE razors for starters and any veteran shaver.  As far as vintage razors... Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, Gillette Super Speed are great razors that you can purchase on Ebay. 

As far as DE blades. . . Feather, Polsilver Super Iridium, Astra SP, Crystal, Gillette Silver Blues are great blades.

As far as shave soaps.... Mike's Natural Soap, Mystic Water Soap, TIKI Bar Soap, Cold River Soap Works, Barrister & Mann, and Cella are excellent shave soaps that provide great lather, protection, glide and great scents.

As far as shave brushes... you can get a quality boar brush such as a Semogue or Omega brush.  As far as badger brushes... you can get a Simpson, Vulfix, Thater.  Badger brushes are more expensive than the boar brushes.

As far as shave creams... you cannot go wrong with Taylor of Old Bond Street.  It is made in England and it is a world famous shave cream that lathers great and provides great protection.  You can also use C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream that is found in your local Bath and Body Works.

You should also visit the wet shaving site:  www.badgerandblade.com.  It is a great site that is dedicated to the traditional way of shaving.  I am also an active member.

Check out YouTube and look out for Mantic59, The Shave Evangelist, Nick Shaves, and The Shave Man.  They give great advice.  TSE, Nick Shaves, and The Shave Man give great thoughts and reviews on wet shaving products.

Hope this helps.  As you can tell, I am a huge fan of the traditional way of shaving.  IMHO... you cannot get a better shaves.  Since April 2012 when I discovered this way of shaving, my Fusion razors have never been touched.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to post up or PM me.  We have several SBG members that shave the traditional way.  Again, welcome to SBGs and we hope that you become an active member.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »
On a side note, I will also include some great vendors who sell wet shaving products. 

Bull Goose Shaving,  West Coast Shaving, Royal Shave, Lee's Safety Razors, Italian Barber.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!