Author Topic: Anxiety over hair loss  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Anxiety over hair loss
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
The vast majority of men experience some anxiety when they discover that they are starting to go bald.  In many ways this would seem to be a modern-day or "first world" problem, yet everyone is familiar with how Julius Caesar struggled with his own hair loss, which indicates that it has been considered a problem for well over 2,000 years. 

It makes me wonder exactly when male pattern baldness began to be perceived as a problem.  Even in much more recent times, men have generally not been as bothered by other signs of aging -- grey hair and wrinkles, for example -- and at some point in history people must have been much more worried about basic survival than how they looked. 

It also makes me wonder why it took so damn long for humankind to embrace the obvious solution to this problem - i.e., shaving off the remaining hair.   Being bald has never bothered me, but it would definitely bother me if it meant I had to go through life with an unbuzzed fringe, like bald men did up until fairly recently. Men who can't grow a decent beard keep their faces shaved; why would the same principle not apply to a scalp with less than full coverage?

Thoughts?

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Anxiety over hair loss
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
Leviticus 13:40
A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean.

Since Moses wrote of hairloss and whether it should be considered a form of disease some 4,000 years ago, I have a feeling men have been worried about losing their hair for a very long time - and even in extremely harsh survival situations. It just tells me that there always has been at least a little amount of vanity running through our species. 

I wore the horseshoe for over twenty years, and agree with you, Razor, that I am very thankful the shaved head now is accepted as a "main stream" appearance. Why it took so long is anyone's guess, but I am very glad it happened.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline rss114

• Sly
  • Finally Sly
Re: Anxiety over hair loss
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
I can honestly say I have no anxiety about my hair loss since I joined the site bbc now that it's thinning it's not a problem for me