Author Topic: Dovo shavette  (Read 3899 times)

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
Dovo shavette
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
Today I shaved my whole head with a Dovo shavette. For those unfamiliar with it, it's as close to a straight razor as they come without it being a straight razor. The technique is the same.  With the exception of one little cut and some razor burn in the back I consider my first go-round with the Dovo to be successful.  The burn is pretty much gone away now thanks to good advice on this forum. I used Barbasol to make it seem like an old school shaving experience.  Usually I use Edge since that's worked quite nicely for me since I've started head shaving.  Is Barbasol okay to use or would you all think I would do much better sticking with Edge or going with another shave cream or gel that's made to use for straight razor shaving?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Dovo shavette
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »
Hi AJ:  Congrats on shaving with a shavette.  I suggest that you get a quality shave soap with brush.  Here is a list of some of my favorite shave soaps:  Mike's Natural Soap, Mystic Water Soap, TIKI Bar Soap, Cella, Speick, Barrister and Mann, and RazoRock.  As far as shave creams, I would go with Taylor of Old Bond Street, Trueffitt & Hill.  From my experience they are better than the can goop of Edge.

One thing I love about Mike's Natural Soap, Mystic Water Soap, TIKI Bar Soap, and Barrister & Mann is that they are made by independent locals from the good ole USA.  These products are outstanding and I highly recommend them. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:56:18 PM »
Thank you so much Warhawk!!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
I always learn something on this forum as well.

I never have gotten the "itch" to use a straight edge, but this sounds interesting.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  How much time did it take you to shave your head?  I imagine that you used sow short strokes.  Did you just do one pass over each area?
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  How much time did it take you to shave your head?  I imagine that you used sow short strokes.  Did you just do one pass over each area?

I didn't time it but my guess would be that it took me about 30-45 mins.  I went very slow indeed and took short strokes.  I lathered up frequently with shaving cream but still got razor burn in the back.  I think the reason for that is I didn't use any pre-shave oil this time, in which I usually use baby oil.  After I did one pass over each area, I felt my head checking for rough spots.  When I felt a rough patch, I went back over it.  I'll try it again this weekend and see how it goes.  I think I could really get the hang of it and save money on cartridges. 

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
Cool!  Let us know your progress.

I wish I had that kinda time to spend shaving my head.  If I did, I'd definitely give it a try and a DE too.

I imagine you did this in front of the mirror?  Can't imagine doing that in the shower shaving by feel.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 06:09:34 PM »
My apologies DOC on the late response.  I didn't realize you had sent another post on this thread until now.  I do shave in front of the mirror at the sink. I couldn't imagine shaving in the shower by feel with it either man even though I have a mirror in my shower too.

I gave the shavette another try today after I got home from work.  My aim was to not get razor burn and cuts and I succeeded! I used baby oil like I usually do for my pre-shave.  My choice of shaving cream this time was Cremo, which worked very well. 

The blade I used was a Derby.  Can anyone comment on the quality of the Derby blades?

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:47:02 AM »
No worries, bro! 

That's cool!  Glad to hear that it's working out for you. 

One of these days, I am gonna find the time and experiment with these other blades and techniques.  They just seem too interesting to not give it a try.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »
There's still a lot more to learn but I'm enjoying it.  I used my Mach 3 and shaved in the shower today like I usually do.  I will probably give the Dovo another shot tomorrow.

Offline Trigger

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
I have shaved my head with a Dovo Shavette and the result was very good. I don't use mirrors when I shave the back, but by feel, just as if I was using a safety razor. I do not use the shavette too often for shaving my face and head because I can get a quicker shave with my DE safety razor. However, I like the challenge of shaving with a shavette.

Enter your email address: