Author Topic: Rash/Oily/Itchy :(  (Read 4713 times)

Offline 1ne_lov3

• Learning the way of Sly
Rash/Oily/Itchy :(
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »
Hi folks I've read a good few posts and have got some awesome tips but I'm still getting an itchy head at the back of my neck and behind my ears and the day after shaving I get the bumps and some tiny spots on my neck.
I use clean and clear exfoliating scrub with hot water pre shave. Then nivea for men sensitive shaving foam and try to stick to one stroke with gillete fusion blades. After shave I use cold water and a bay rum lotion.   
I wash my head twice a week with shampoo

Any other tips to eleviate these problems would be most grateful. I'm from Northern Ireland and hello folks this is my first post but been on the forum looking for a few months 🙋

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Rash/Oily/Itchy :(
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
Welcome aboard, sir

I think you have a good routine there, but it's possible you may be one of those guys that may not be able to handle multiple aftershaves/lotions/etc. I would suggest rubbing your head with an ice cube immediately after shaving. Also, look into some bump prevention products such as bump patrol. Another thing is to check your bedwear. A lot of us don't wash our bedwear as often as we should and dirt from sweat, etc builds up on the pillows. You can also try wearing a stocking cap to bed to keep the dirt off of your head. If this continues, you may have to see a doctor and/or dermatologist, you may have sebhorric dermatitis or some other form of skin disease. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline 1ne_lov3

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
Hey thanks for the info man I'll try that cube and bump patrol thanks

Offline 1ne_lov3

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:06 AM »
Shaved today heads currently like this how can I get rid of it??!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »
I reread your original post to make sure I didn't miss anything in my first response to you (didn't want to pass along any bad info :))

That said, how long have you been shaving your head? For the first few weeks, or even months, a scalp (especially ones on guys that are bald-by-choice with thick hair) needs time to adjust to a razor being passed on it (hence the 30 day rule). However some people, myself included, cannot shave everyday due to schedule and/or irritation factors, and you may not be able to handle everyday shaving (every 2-3 days you should be good to give the scalp a decent amount of hair to shave). Looking at your picture, I see nothing wrong, but do you go with or against the grain when shaving? At the bottom of your neck, that looks like "stork bite" where the pigmentation of your skin looks a little reddish but it's nothing to be alarmed about, I would say about 90% of guys bald or not, have that same "stork bite" in the same area as shown in your picture. However, no harm in visiting a dermatologist to make sure it is not a more serious skin condition. Cortisone cream is good for healing the red bumps (that I can't see) in addition to the bump prevention products and ice cube mentioned above. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline invaray

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
For me I had to do the opposite of what people suggested.  Shave each day letting the hair grow back caused irritation. Don't apply moisturizer makes it worse. Use an antibacterial soap. Quit using anything that might be a suspect in causing irritation leave out the bay rum lotion, less is more sometimes.
shine and share

Offline 1ne_lov3

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:23:11 PM »
Thanks guys great forum. I'm bald by nature as in lost it up top have shaved with a buzzer for 6 years but only started shaving with razor in theadt month or so. I'll take on board your points guys thanks alot

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:23:01 AM »
I used to have the same issue and I switched shaving creams and eliminated it.  Try HeadSlick, Manumission Shave Gel, Pacific Shaving Oil or Cream, and Crema Shaving Cream. I've had success with all 3.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »
You can take (2) aspirin non coated put them in a small amount of water use a Cotten ball and apply to affected areas supposed to alleviate razor burn. I've got sensitive skin as well and used a pre-shave oil along with head slick and worked like a charm! You can make the pre-shave oil at home cheap (2 parts castor oil, 1 part olive oil, 15 drops essential oil of your choice, I used sandalwood smells really good)

Offline 1ne_lov3

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 07:50:46 AM »
Hey man how long do you put the oil on for? I have ups and downs today after shaving my head looks like this :(

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
I would pay a visit to a dermatologist.  It might be folliculitis, which is something I struggle with.  The only way to really clear that up is with antibiotics, either topical or oral.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
Yeah I get folliculitis on the back of my head a lot, especially if I shave against the grain back there and only do so once a week or so.  The hair follicles get a little stuck below the surface of the skin and get irrititatied, they get oil trapped inside, and then they do just what yours are doing.

My dermatologist told me several things:

1.  Be consistent.  Either shave your head or don't.  Shaving it only once in a while does not get the hair follicles "used to" not having to keep its "hole" open on the skin, (which lets in the oil and bacteria).

2.  Keep it clean.  You don't want oils to accumulate there because oil attracts and traps bacteria.

3..  She gave me a steroid foam that I can put on it when it really flares up.  The stuff is strong so she told me only to use it when I need to or it will turn my skin into paper.

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
When I use the pre-shave oil (which is every time I shave now) I rub it in fora minute or so just massage it into my scalp and face. Softens up the hair and allows the razor to glide over the skin. I also put shave gel straight over the top (cremo cream or headslick)