Author Topic: different blades work better for head and face?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
different blades work better for head and face?
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:06 PM »
After a disastrous head shave a few day ago,I was trying to find the right angle for shave the back of my head with my merkur 34c and managed to slice myself pretty good back there. Had to let that heal up and back at it today I decided to try the feather blades from the sample pack, damn! That worked great on my head not one single nick or scrape! This is a first! !! And then I went to shave my face and bloody hell! That did not go well I got several nicks,  and a couple of really nasty ones along my neck line. So my question is, could I have dulled the blade so badly from my head shave and that lead to the blood bath? It is fair to day also that my technique  is probably not all that great yet but I have n it had th is much trouble with de shaving so far. My other question is, do any of you find that you get better  head and face shaves from different blades for head and face?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: different blades work better for head and face?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:22:08 AM »
Yes... different blades work differently all the time.  The blades that I love are Feather, Polsilver Super Iridium, and Astra SP.  Feathers and Super Iridiums are probably my two favorites.  I like the Feather blades because they are the sharpest BUT you have to be mindful and careful with the Feather blades while shaving because they can "bite".

Also... sometimes you will get a "dud" blade in each pack.  "Dud" meaning that the blade is not 100% compared to the rest in the pack.  It just happens from time to time. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
Depending on how coarse your hair, and how many passes, I also think it is possible to dull a Feather enough with a head shave to affect the face shave.  Next time try it in reverse.  Start with a fresh Feather and do face first then head and see if you get different results.

I find that it's hard to maintain proper angle on the back of my head, which likely leads to dulling a blade faster, since for me it means I'm using the blade much more perpendicular on the back of my head than I am everywhere else.

I just got my first SE in a PIF, and I'm anxious to see if it helps my angle issue on the back of my head.  I have a theory that since the SEs are much more sensitive to angles, it may be easier to tell whether or not you are maintaining that than it is with DE.  That might be why Warhawk seems to be so fond of his Mongoose and Cobra...

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
@gwsmallwood What kind of SE did you get?

@agentfortyseven I find that improved technique can definitely help to prolong blade life.  If you're still relatively new to the razor and blade combination then more use will help.  Nice nickname btw.  I presume it's from Hitman (I just bought a bargain trilogy for PS3!)

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
GEM Bullet Tip

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
That's a nice one, especially for a first SE. It's pretty mild but still gives great shaves