Author Topic: new de shaver question  (Read 2889 times)

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
new de shaver question
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:47:18 PM »
I had my first expwith a de shave today and it was great! All went well except for some irritation on my cheek, i am assuming it is razor burn as i rushed one side of my shave when b i sae that i was running a bit late. I just wanted to ask if anyone had gotten any  .  irritation from being too aggressive with a new brush? Im using a j pure badge brush probably a silly question as im 92.66% sure that my problem is razor burn from rushing like an oaf but figured I'd cover all bases and ask anyway.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: new de shaver question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:19:48 AM »
As a DE is a single blade, I've never had irritation much if at all because it it just one blade pulling the hair/skin as opposed to multiple blades. That said, you still have to be careful with a DE, cause if you cut yourself, you could get one hell of a gusher.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline notquitethere

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »
I have razor burn like symptoms with a DE.  Not from rushing as much as double passes or going ATG.  Early on you have to allow time to learn your growth patterns so you can go initially with the grain.  As you gain more experience, your speed will increase.  You will also begin to understand when it might be necessary to lather back up and go for a second pass. 

I have a medium growth beard and most days a single pass with the grain is fine.  I can now shave almost as quickly as I used to with cartridges but I never get the neck irritation or ingrowns I used to have.  Patience is key, with your everyday shave as well as learning the process.  Relax, plan an extra 5 minutes for your shave. You'll get there.

I still don't shave my head with the DE. I've tried a few passes and can't seem to get the balance/feel right.  I just haven't had the time to relax and learn the process for my noggin.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
Yes, you can get irritation from the brush, but it's not the usual culprit.  Pure badgers aren't known for being the softest, but unless you have a particularly bad one, I don't think that's the problem.

Usually the problem is either pressure, too many passes, or shaving unlathered skin.  If you suspect the brush, try using it to build your lather in a bowl, but applying the lather to the skin with your hands.  If you still get irritation that way, then it's not the brush...

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
I've had irritation from the shaving creame that I've used. It caused redness just like razor burn. I went with less perfumed brands and more natural oils and haven't had any more problems.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 05:49:01 PM »
I had my first expwith a de shave today and it was great! All went well except for some irritation on my cheek, i am assuming it is razor burn as i rushed one side of my shave when b i sae that i was running a bit late. I just wanted to ask if anyone had gotten any  .  irritation from being too aggressive with a new brush? Im using a j pure badge brush probably a silly question as im 92.66% sure that my problem is razor burn from rushing like an oaf but figured I'd cover all bases and ask anyway.
I would definitely say it is irritation from rushing.  One thing that I learned from DE or SE shaving is to never ever rush.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
Ha! I must be doing something right, Mel, it takes me nearly 30 minutes to shave. Sometimes more. Not complaining though!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
Ha! I must be doing something right, Mel, it takes me nearly 30 minutes to shave. Sometimes more. Not complaining though!
Hi Mike:  I'm glad that you are loving your shaves doing it the tradtional way.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!