Author Topic: My hair is starting to thin...  (Read 28789 times)

nyjrb

My hair is starting to thin...
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »
Hi, I'm 24 years old, with a loooong history of balding men in my family, so I always figured that one day I would start to lose my hair, but, like most, I was hoping it would hold off for awhile. Alas I started to notice more forehead and some miniaturized hairs. So I posted on a few hairloss forums to get some opinions on whether or not I was going bald. Turns out my worst fears came true. Once I found that out, it has consumed me. I know that it's just slight thinning, but it's all I see.  Anyways a few people (including my barber) suggested that if I was self conscious of the thinning, I could try a ceaser cut or a buzz cut. Now I've never had that short of hair. But recently I've thought that maybe I should try shaving it off when I still have alot of hair, so it won't become so noticeable or drive me insane when it inevitable becomes worse. The thing is I think I will look terrible without hair! So I would like opinions/advice/words of encouragement from people who have made that choice.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
Re: My hair is starting to thin...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:38 AM »
Try it, it will always grow back if you don't like it.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:08:08 AM »
From the photos it looks like you have alot of hair. Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to shave your head, and that's ok. Maybe you should find a local charity head shave, if you don't like it, you will be surprised how fast it grows back.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:36:32 AM »
I have a full head of hair, and for most of the past 8 months, I've been shaving it every day.  I'm very content with that choice.  I've found that most guys look good with or without hair.  I don't think being bald makes a whole lot of difference to one's appearance.  Barring some weird head shape issue, I think you'll look somewhere between good and excellent bald.  So I say, go for it.  You've still got a lot of hair, and what you have will grow back quickly if you don't like it.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 05:42:45 AM »
I don't see very much hair loss...Regardless, if you shave it, look at it as just another haircut.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:27 AM »
You and your hair look good in both those photos. I don't think anyone would think of you as balding. It does sound like you want to try at least a buzz to see how you look. Now would be a perfect time. If you liked it, you may want to keep it. If you shave your head now and that becomes your permanent haircut, you'll never experience the look of balding and getting increasingly balder and balder!

And if you don't like it, you can quickly grow back the head of hair you have now, which is still a good head of hair!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
Wish I had your hair when I was age 24 ...

Try progressive shorter cuts and end up with #0 buzz cut.

- OR -
Halloween is coming up, razor shave it smooth and think up a creative
costume to match the sly look.

nyjrb

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
I did say it as just a slight thinning.
Here is my hairline:

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
It can't hurt to try it. Will always grow back in time. I am not losing hair at all and chose to shave my head because I have very bad scalp psoriasis. Since I have shave my head and been able to use steroid creams. My head and scalp psoriasis is 100% gone. I had no idea how much I would love having no hair. That is why I say just try it and see what you think.

Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »
I think that you have a long way to go before you are forced to make the move to sly.

That having been said; every man should shave his head at least once in his life even if he has no hair loss problem.

Shaving your head is a very, very, masculine and empowering thing to do.  It is a huge rush of adrenaline and testosterone - and it is a good way to find out that there is more to you "mojo" than just your hair, etc.

I still have a full hairline and I shave my head.  It has made a world of difference to my "attitude".  I started shaving my head as part of a charity fund raiser.  At first it was shocking but I followed the advice on this forum about the 30 day rule.  By the third day I had already accepted it as "just another haircut".  And I LIKE IT!  It is ME, expressing MY CHOICE, and MY MASCULINITY!  If I want to go back to having some hair once in a while - well then I will try those "haircuts" also.

So, I say that you should really try it out - and keep it for at least 30 days. 

Post photos and tell us how you feel during the journey!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »
You still have a lot to work with man but if you want to shave, go for it.  Like others have said, your hair will grow back quickly if you do shave it.  With me, hair would grow fast in some places but in others I wouldn't have hair at all.  Haha! It's all good though since I love having a bald head. 

nyjrb

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »
I'm getting my haircut next week for a wedding, I think I might go short, I'm just not sure how short I should go. Advice? Also right now I have a full beard, but I'm going to have my barber trim it. Should I stick with the full beard or try a new style?

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »
I'm getting my haircut next week for a wedding, I think I might go short, I'm just not sure how short I should go. Advice? Also right now I have a full beard, but I'm going to have my barber trim it. Should I stick with the full beard or try a new style?

My vote is always for the full beard.   As the others have said, you look as if you have a long way to go before having to make a decision about buzzing or shaving your hair.  If you want try it though, go for it.  I think you will look good either way.   

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
You cannot go wrong with a full beard, IMO.  Especially if you decide to shave you head or get a short buzz.

I had told myself years ago that when I started thinning, I would shave it completely.  I was probably close to where you are now when I decided to shave, but older, around 48. I had some general thinning on the front hairline, some receeding, and a thin area on my crown.   In reality, I was just waiting on an excuse to shave it.  You still have enough hair to keep it if you want, so do not feel "forced" into a decision now.  But when you are ready, go for it.  I suggest you do shave before MPB kicks in completely though.
SlyBeard

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
I agree with the other esteemed gentlemen. You can always buzz it, and in your case, it will grow back if you don't like it.