Author Topic: A first  (Read 3624 times)

Offline notquitethere

• Sly Guy in Training
A first
« on: October 03, 2014, 08:30:15 AM »
While I still haven't tried shaving my head with a DE razor. I love using it for my face.  I am still working through some different blades from a sample pack I ordered.  The first for me is that I finally found a blade that absolutely sucks - for me.  There were some Bic blades in my pack. Tried one for the first time yesterday. Really didn't like the shave...at all. But I thought it might have just been something with the fresh blade.  Started to shave with it again this morning and after the first contact with my face I knew I was done with the brand. 

I stopped, changed blades and had a very nice shave with a Wilkinson.  Seems like those or the Merkur will work best for me.  I appreciate the feather but they are a bit aggressive for me and I seem to end up with a little post shave irritation.

Once I am fully comfortable with my setup, I will try it on my head.  May take a while now though because I have a couple of different razors I have thrown into the mix as well. Will definitely get there.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: A first
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »
I haven't tried BIC blades myself, but I do think that from time to time there might be a duff blade in a pack.  Might be worth trying a second blade just to be sure before you dismiss them out of hand.  ^-^

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
I wouldn't recommend Bic blades to anyone.  I remember shaving with some years ago for my face and they provided the most uncomfortable shave. So regardless of how new the blade is on a Bic, it's bad.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
I hate to criticize Bic because they support wounded warrior.  I have volunteered at several Tough Mudder events where Bic has chic's giving head shaves and mohawks.  When Bic reaches 10,000 heads shaved they donate $100K to wounded warrior.  I let them shave my dome to help out with the cause.

But, those Bic disposable razors are THE WORST things in the world!

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:24:03 AM »
agreed! it's like a small piece of rusted tin scraping your skin.... but kudos for their charity work

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »
I've only tried one blade, and it was only a few weeks into beginning with a DE, but I didn't find them terrible.  They weren't great, and many of my others were much smoother, but I could learn to shave with them everyday if I had to. 

Indian Wilkinson Swords on the other hand, are the first blade that I threw away without even completing a shave.  It could have just been a dud blade, but I've been too scared to try a second one so far.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:10:32 AM »
If Bic's  were that bad they would have gone out of business along time ago. I use their hybrid 3 and find them fine for head shaving. Just as good as Gillette sensor 3. It's worth trying all blades at least once. B@%d
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:13:54 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
me and bba are talking about those white single blade disposables, that were around in the 80s

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
I'll agree. The bic's are not good at all.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »
Bic doesn't have to put any money into quality; they have put it all into advertising and they have the name.

Every American youngster grows up using a "Bic" pen.

When they hit adolescence the don't even talk about "shaving"; they say; "Bic it"!

Their razors are terrible so most teens turn to electric razors or go with the "stubble" look.

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »
I didn't know that Bic razors were the same as the pen. Well, makes since. Never have thought about it. I usually stay with a company that makes one product. I was like one of those kids that went electric after shaving with a Bic through away. Then found the Mach.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
Well BIC may make crappy razors but at least they do one good thing - I just got an email from them informing me that I was one of the 10,000 who volunteered to get my head shaved at one of their events and they have donated $100,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project!

So next year grow yours out a bit and then get it shaved for Wounded Warrior!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
I had some Bic blades in the sample pack I bought when I first got into DE shaving. I didn't care for them nor would I buy them again. Feather is my blade of choice.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill