Author Topic: What's So Special About Your Home Town  (Read 7456 times)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
What's So Special About Your Home Town
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »
I know we've had threads before where we've learned about where everyone is from.  I'd like to take it one step further.  Why don't we all tell a little more about where we live or where we are from.  What makes it special or why in the world anyone would want to live there. 

I am originally from Springfield, Missouri down in SW Missouri.  It is only about an hour north of the famous Branson, Missouri tourist area.

For the past 20 years I have lived in the Kansas City area.  Kansas City is famous for its BBQ, the American Royal Rodeo, the Country Club Plaza, the most fountains of any city in the US, Royals Baseball, Chiefs football, KC Wizards professional soccer and many other things that would make this list just too long. 

So what's so special about where you live???

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What's So Special About Your Home Town
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:18:19 PM »
I am hard pressed to think of anything that is really special about where I live.  Not that it isn't a nice place, but it's overcrowded and the property taxes are punitive.  But it's convenient for work and my immediate family lives here.  Were it not for that, I'm not sure I'd be living here myself.  I will say, though, that this time of year, Jersey peaches are a real treat. 

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:22:29 PM »
Born in Oakland, CA at Oak Knoll Naval Hospital, raised in Alameda, home of the Alameda Naval Air Station. The station was closed a few years ago with a decrease in military spending. The Oakland/San Francisco Bay Area is a wonderful place with tons to offer (and a few not so good things to detract).

Although I now live about 100 miles north in a suburb of Sacramento, I'll always consider the East Bay (Oakland/Alameda) my home.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:32:16 PM »
LaGrange still has some cheap and honest mechanics.  After dealing with ones in Atlanta that is a great thing to be known for!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 06:21:26 AM »
I was born in Falmouth Mass on Cape Cod.Dont remember a whole lot as we moved to my mother hometown of Toledo Ohio when I was 7. I remember the ocean and the fishing industry is was very important. I received my first jellyfish sting on a beach nears Woods Hole.

Toledo is a real blue collar city. It has a strong manufacturing background which goes back over 100 years. Toledo is home to the Jeep and the most famous minor league baseball team in the country,The Mud Hens.It is known as the Glass City and for many years was the centre of the worlds glass production. Toledos hometown son,Jamie Farr is best known as the Section 8 Klinger on M*A*S*H. Also Tony Packos Hot Dogs which Paul can assure you,kick some serious ass.

Toledo has a large ethnic population of Poles,Hungarians,Lebanese(my family) and Greeks.

Toledo has its problems with crime and unemployment just as any decent size city in America does. It was good to me growing up and and It was hard to leave, She is in my thoughts daily.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 07:53:23 AM »
Washington Indiana....oh Washington...whats so great about it? Well we are situated in SW Indiana about 2 hours directly sw of Indianapolis.  It is small town of about only 12,000 people.  We are the home of Notre Dame Basketball player #40 Forward Luke Zeller.  We have an abundance of the Amish living sect.  So that gives us alot of homemade amish cooked buffets to eat at.  We are also home to the worlds only Turkey Trot that attracts top music entertainers and yes we really race turkeys.  SlyKC might enjoy this little fact.  Ryan Hill was drafted to play for the KC Royals but had to give it up after he broke his arm and wasnt able to play.  Ryan is from here in Washington.  We are minutes away from Santa Claus Indiana which is home to one of the Top 10 amusement parks in the USA.   Holiday World has the the Worlds fastest and best wooden roller coaster in the World, rated by the roller coaster enthusaist.  Also Santa Claus Indiana is where kids from all over the world send their letters to Santa and millions of people send their Christmas cards to Santa Claus Indiana post office only to be post marked with the seal and then forwarded onto the recepiant.   Abraham Lincoln grew up and lived 14 years in this small community.  We are famous for the Wratten murders...read up on it here.  wrattenmurders.bravepages.com   So have i rambled on enough already?  So there is a little about where I live.  Good place to raise children...safe and friendly community.

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 09:00:13 AM »
Where I live is the brick capitol of the USA, used to be the world.  Where I grew up, well, the aliens landed there.   :/O
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 04:59:52 PM »
nothing. franklin lousyana sucks really big donkey dicks. well it does. man i need out of this state.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 08:25:36 PM »
But, Paul, How do you really feel about it???? :D
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 09:20:02 PM »
sorry, the mind is just not in a real good place right now.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 10:16:15 PM »
The Warren-Youngstown OH. area has the most affordable housing in the country. Last year we were ranked 100 out of 100 for employment opportunities. There is a good chance these two facts are tied together. But I have only lived here two years. But I actually love living around here, so long as I can keep my job!

Before that I lived in Massillon OH for 10 years. The home of Paul Brown, and self proclaimed High School Football Capital in the country, 9 times national champs.

And before that my hometown is Akron. Rubber Capital of the world. All-American Soap Box Derby. Home of Firestone Country Club and national tournaments. Tiger Woods just one one here last weekend.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 01:45:23 AM »
Redding, CA - home to an abundance of recreation, including the best lake ever, Shasta Lake.  There's two huge mountains, Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen to look at all year long.  Home to the best steak house ever, Jacks.  Unfortunately, it's not the best place for employment for someone like myself in the software industry.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 03:45:52 AM »
nothing. franklin lousyana sucks really big donkey dicks. well it does. man i need out of this state.

aaaw! well hunny, there's plenty of room over here for ya!  ;)

I decided this would be easier, go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagenham

it's actually quite interesting. sort of...
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:19:24 AM »
Yeh my home town was pretty abysmal too - couldn't wait to get out!
Moved to London at 17 & stayed there for over 20 years - still think of it as home in many ways but moved to Kent 4 years ago as the property was more affordable. I love it here. Love living a stones throw away from the sea & 5 mins away from the Kentish countryside. Life is a lot slower here too which suits me fine! 

His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Chico D

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 08:02:12 AM »
Miami:  beautiful scenery in parts like the beach, kind of rundown and grimey in other parts.  Very large hispanic influence (60% hispanic), a whole lot of cubans, colombians/venezuelans and nicaraguans/hondurans.  Also many american blacks and haitians.  Everybody is tough (supposedly) and everybody believes they are a celebrity or they are trying to be.  But there are a lot of cool people as well, lots of partying.  The city is based on clubs and restaurants.  Northerners love to come down and party on South Beach.  Large hip hop influence.  People have high barriers protecting them from other people, kinda hard to break throough in general, but it is possible.  Excellent, cheap cuban food.  That stuff is great.  Lot of political corruption and the gang members become police officers.   But for some reason I love the hell out of my city and don't picture myself moving.  Oh and did I mention there are masses of incredibly hot women?

Enter your email address: