Author Topic: 16 and considering going bald  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Joey24

• Learning the way of Sly
16 and considering going bald
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
i am a 16 year old male in high school and really enjoy the idea and look of sly. i am currently in high school and i am not balding or thinning and wanting to go sly shearly because i like the look of it. i have talked to my parents about and they said they are very against the idea of it. i was wondering you guys idea on the topic?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: 16 and considering going bald
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
16 can be a very cool age.  It can be a time to try new things, and to explore what interests you in life because very soon you will have to start making life choices, (such as what course of studies you will have to follow) in order to achieve those life choices.  I think that it is fine for a 16 year old guy to test fly a sly dome.  It is just another haircut and you might really like it! (And Chicks dig it!)

But whether you or I might think that it would be a good idea to experiment with different styles of dress or haircuts is not relevant if your folks don't approve.  Unless you can convince them that a shaved head is just another haircut, you must not go against their wishes.  You live in their home; a home they work had to provide for you.  They are your parents; they love you and they make decisions for you until you have grown up and are on your own.  They deserve - and it is your privilege - to return their love and respect their decisions - even when you don't agree with them.   Learning to honor and obey your parents is part of what it takes to become a man and prepares you for the day that you will be father yourself.

If your parents don't approve; just drop the subject and an pursue other adventures.  Perhaps the kids in your school will have a head shaving fundraiser such as St. Baldricks, etc.  If that happens, you can ask you parents once again if you can participate.  If not, you will just have to wait until you are supporting yourself, living on your own, and bearing the full consequences of your actions.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:56:24 AM »
Gottta agree with BBBA - until you are out of the house and truly on your own there are some limitations to be considered.

But is there a middle ground such as a buzzcut so everyone can get a sense of short hair? Possibly seeing that will make the move to sly (even if gradual) easier to attain. A lot of guys here have gotten to sly through gradually shortening their hair. Rarely in life does something have to be ALL or NONE.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 04:13:59 AM »
Shaving your head as a hairstyle is much more common these days.  I agree with you that it's a good look. While I'm a bit older than you are, I too have a full head of hair and choose to shave it bald.

But my parents have passed on.  I'm out on my own. I pay my own bills and responsible for my own haircut.  At 16, your parents are sill paying the bills. You are living in their house.  You need to respect their opinion.  It will be well worth it to honor your parents while you are living under their roof. It won't be long before you are out on your own and you can make your own decisions in matters like this.

I have a friend who was in a similar situation. When he was a college student, living at home, and parents helping with tuition ... wanted to get his left ear pierced, shave his head, grow a beard.  Parents said NO.  He honored that request, at that time.  A few years later when he was in grad school, living in his own apartment, paying his own tuition and living expenses, he got the ear piercing, shaved his head and grew out the beard.

Honoring your parents opinion when living in their home has great value, even if you don't understand their reasons.  Wanting to shave your head bald is a good idea.  perhaps they would be OK with a compromise, a short buzz cut!  That's a suitable alternative.  Both are very manly styles.  Maybe, for now, they would be OK with a #2 or #3 buzz cut.  Something to consider.

Hang onto the SLY wish and when you get out on your one, go for it.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:30:22 AM »
Glad you joined the board, Joey. Welcome!

As the father of three in high school right now, I have had to remind myself several times that if the thing they insist upon doing/wearing is temporary and not against my moral or religious values, then I need to allow them to express themselves as my parents allowed me to do - even if I think whatever it is looks ridiculous to me. That said, I can attest that I would be very hurt and angry if they defied me and did something I had told them not to do.

I would suggest you sit down with your parents and discuss calmly why you want to shave. Listen to what their reasons may be for saying no to it. It may be only that they see it as an extreme style or that they associate it with violent or racist groups. It may be only that they need some time to think about the idea before accepting it. You might remind them that it is only a temporary hairstyle that does grow back. You might also consider, as Frontier Guy suggested, offering to start with just a shorter cut/buzz to ease into the shaved look. Waiting until your summer break may also be a workable compromise as it gives all of you time to think about it, and the change would happen at a time when there is less emphasis on schedules and adherence to dress codes.

Ultimately, however, you should obey their decision.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:25:27 AM »
Welcome, Joey! Maybe I can offer another perspective on this:
Back in Spring 1986, as a 13-year-old eighth grader, I got a bad haircut from a barber in training. I tried to fix it myself but only made it worse which resulted in me passing the clippers all over my head till I had what would be called a " mighty fine" back then. Today, that would be called "no guard". My grandparents, whom I lived with at that time, were angry but their chief concern was the teasing and bullying. Talk to your parents about that being a concern. Regardless, in the end, until you become of legal  age, you must respect their wishes. Good luck!
P.S. The St. Baldrick's idea isn't a bad idea!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Online Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
Get the shortest haircut that your parents will allow you to have, and then when summertime comes around you try and re-negotiate with them.  Rules can (usually) be relaxed a little in the summertime and by then they'll be used to seeing you with shorter hair.  You'll also be 17 or very close to it, which is on the cusp of adulthood, so maybe they'll see things differently by then. But no matter what, you must respect their wishes.