Author Topic: Have you ever convinced/persuaded others to shave their head?  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
Have you ever convinced/persuaded others to shave their head?
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
This question may have been asked before, so apologies if it has.

Just over a year ago, I was talking to a good friend of mine who was suffering from a bit of hair fall & receding hair line although he had fairly long hair. He seemed a bit depressed by the hair loss as still having a fairly good head of hair in his mid-fifties was a point of pride for him, albeit, he didn't seem too confident. He asked me how I felt being bald & I told him I felt really good about it. As it was nearing "Movember" time, he asked me what I thought about him growing a moustache & beard & then shaving them off for charity - I said that he should shave his head and with the head shave would come confidence and that he would feel better about himself afterwards. Sometime later, I met up with him and to my surprise his head was completely smooth & he seemed very happy (as was his wife).... He thanked me for being an inspiration to him. Anybody had similar experience of this?

BaldBill

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Have you ever convinced/persuaded others to shave their head?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
I have brought up the topic with a few guys with significant MPB, but so far none have taken up going Sly.  The usual response is that it would be too much maintenance.
SlyBeard

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
For some reason, my experiences have been the opposite of SlyBeard....I've had three or four people who were thinning and/or had MPB ask me the question about going sly and they all have followed through with it this year....and they all like it. Sometimes we live in a copycat world and if some people see you happy with what you have, they will try to do the same!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
I've never had the experience of someone asking my guidance with regard to shaving the head. In that case I probably would advise them that if they did try shaving their head that it is nothing more than a haircut so if they didn't like it they could just let it grow back.

I don't think I would give unsolicited advice to someone, though. It strikes me as what I would call "bald evangelism". Next thing you know I would be printing up leaflets and dropping by peoples' houses to spread the sly word and try to pull in converts. Over the line!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
One of my mates is very thin on top and recently had a short buzz.  I said it looked good and the next step is just shorter and smoother.  I think he is tempted but it is up to him.  He knows I much prefer bald.  He has a good beard too.
Roger

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:59:51 AM »
I talked with my dad about it recently.  He's 61 and still has more hair than i've had in 20 years, but it's definitely time for him.  I think he'll crop it short and then go shorter once he gets used to it.

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 04:28:44 AM »
Yes I have talked to my wife's uncle. About shaving his head. He has not done it yet.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline bald.metalhead

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
I have brought up the topic with a few guys with significant MPB, but so far none have taken up going Sly.  The usual response is that it would be too much maintenance.
It is maintenance. A LOT of it. But, it becomes habit, and as a lot of us know, after while, having hair becomes alien. At least, that's how it is with me.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
Nope.   ;)
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »
I talked with my dad about it recently.  He's 61 and still has more hair than i've had in 20 years, but it's definitely time for him.  I think he'll crop it short and then go shorter once he gets used to it.

Funny that you mention this, my dad was thinning quite a bit but he wanted to go the way of the toupee.  He actually did but returned it.  But he was old school and would not have embraced the sly look.  I am very bald compared to where he was at my age or even when he died.

But as to convincing others to go sly, at the church I used to attend, we had a associate pastor that was going bald fast.  This pastor later moved on.  But one day, I got a email from him with a picture of him with a shaved head saying I was his inspiration.  But it took several years to do so.  In fact he was worried that his wife would not like it.  Before he did it, she did not want him to do it.  But now she loves it.

I also got a couple of other friends who was very bald, who I encouraged to go sly.  It took several years but they both now are pretty much sly for life!

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
Nope.   ;)

I see what you did there!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 02:53:57 PM »
I visited an old friend that I haven't seen in years. He had not seen me since I shaved my hair off. I noticed he kept checking out my head, and he finally asked if I was losing my hair or just shaved it all off. So I told him my story about the dermatitis,etc. Then I told him I shave it mainly because I like how it looks. He said he thought it looked great, and had considered shaving his head as he is very thin on top. So he asked several more questions and said he might give it a try. I told him he should join the club!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 10:51:42 PM »
yes, several times . An old friend who i met up with last Summer; two guys st Burningman, etc.