Author Topic: how long for scalp to toughen  (Read 2813 times)

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
how long for scalp to toughen
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »
Can anyone please tell me approximately how long the scalp might take to toughen up and get used to being shaved?, i would much rather shave atg however at this point it only wreaks havoc on my soft newly exposed melon

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: how long for scalp to toughen
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
Took mine about 3 weeks. I used my Remington electric and finished with a razor.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
I was going ATG within a week of going sly. As soon as I start seeing irritation I pop in a new blade and problem solved. That being said I don't have very sensitive skin so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:38:40 AM »
yeah, i'm in my first week too, i'm shaving daily but not atg, maybe i have to wait more.

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
Took mine about 3 weeks. I used my Remington electric and finished with a razor.
So there's Hope for me yet, i might give the electric a try and finish with the razor next time. Thank  you

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
Experiment.  See what works.  You may never find a way to shave ATG daily comfortably.  I can't.  I compromised and settle for XTG passes that have just a touch of ATG direction to them.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »
If you are prone to get ingrown hairs,you may best not to shave ATG.Many barbers advise not to shave ATG  for this reason.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:59:41 AM »
I don't know that it is always specifically a question of how long it will take. The question might be whether I am using the right razor. I started off using Sensor, moved to Head Blade, and for the last several years I have been shaving with the M5 Magnum by Personna. If I were to try to go back to the HB I think I might end up investing in a whole bunch of styptic pencils. So maybe experiment with some different razors and blades and maybe some shaving oil and different creams. It might take a while but once you find your  combination you're set.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
Thank you guys for all of the great advice! I have picked up a head blade and clean up around ears with a mach 3, i think i willtry to experiment with some different blades, shave creams ect.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
If I recall correctly, it took me about 3 weeks.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill