Author Topic: 1 wk SLY and I'm already HERE  (Read 5374 times)

Offline scottylw

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Livin' the Sly Life
1 wk SLY and I'm already HERE
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
Greetings Sly guys,

Granted my wife of 26 yrs a 50th birthday wish 8 days ago 3 days into a week vacation in Lauderdale. Pic is the first that was taken of the "new" dome that I sent to my secretary so she wouldn't be shocked (I'll figure out how get it right side up later!!).

Curiosity about MANY aspects led me to the web and ultimately to you guys site a couple of days ago. Still many questions, but HAD to register to be part of this community. And from what I've seen, my future questions will be adequately covered in short order. You guys are very accommodating and share a wealth of Veteran knowledge.

Awesome site and cool Sly guys with lots of great info to share!!!

Thanks and looking forward to participating!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: 1 wk SLY and I'm already HERE
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »
Welcome Scotty
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Hi Scotty, OK, we will need more info on how you decided to go sly. Were you losing your hair? How do you like the bald life? Was it your wife's idea to shave it? Welcome!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »
Welcome, Scotty!  It looks great!  -and it looks like the Lauderdale sun has already tanned it up a bit!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
Another welcome, from a Floridian (as is Slymyke above).

Post up in Introductions when you have time and give us whatever backstory you're willing to share.

I agree ... looks like you've been Sly a long time. Totally natural.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
Welcome to the club, Scotty
Hair is over rated.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »
Definitely a natural and a nice tan too.  Hope your secretary doesn't freak out - sounds like your wife is very supportive.
Roger

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
Welcome, Scotty!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
Welcome, Scotty!

I also waited until I was 50 to go smooth -  only I did not have as tanned a scalp as yours seems to be.

Glad you joined us.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 04:53:54 AM »
Nice to have you on board, Scotty.  When I was a teen I often wished that my name was Scott.  Never when with it, but thought a lot about it.

I was 59 when I first shaved my head ... mostly just for fun, as I'm BBC.  Approaching 3 years SLY.  Still enjoy it.

Here's to many SLY years for you and many posts on SBG.

Offline scottylw

• Livin' the Sly Life
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
Thanks for all the greetings guys. A little more for those that requested it:

I was typically thin on top and kept my hair very relatively short. You know the look......patch in front, thin moving back, bald spot on the crown, still good thinkness around the sides. The front patch gave me the "illusion" of a reasonable head of hair just looking into the mirror.

My wife has suggested "just take it all off" for some years now. I guess I held onto the visual I still got from the straight on mirror shot and laughed it off. I began to notice in pictures, however, what everyone else was seeing. Especially on sunny outside shots, it REALLY was tough to see any hair on top at all.

Soooo.....we flew into Lauderdale on Sat. She brought it up on Sunday at the beach. Over dinner that evening, I told her that if she was serious, we needed to do it sooner rather than later in the week for tanning purposes. So Monday night we took the plunge. I shaved the front and she did the back. The pic is literally on Tuesday afternoon.

So now, I'm back in the office since Monday and the "shocked" responses have all but subsided. My wife loves it..........and I love her loving it  O0...so I really had my mind made up to stay sly regardless of the reactions/comments. But once the "oh my God" gets out of the way, most have overwhelmingly agreed that it is a good look for me. Just need to get the process and the products down and I'll be cruising!

So there you have it gents. Our first vacation without any of our 3 kids since our honeymoon and this is what we brought back. No telling WHAT the next one will bring......but I'll keep you guys in the loop  8)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
Brilliant story!

I have been sly for about a year now and love it. I turned 50 last month!

What did you use to shave?

Welcome aboard the best sly forum!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »
Great story.   I don't think there are many wives who actually tell you to take it all off.
Roger

Offline scottylw

• Livin' the Sly Life
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »
well Goatee, I was obviously un-learned in the ways of slyness the first time for sure!! I did put enough thought into it to get some exfoliating wash. We just buzzed my head with my braun trimmer, then cut loose with some regular barbosol and my fusion.

Not a single nick and I considered that a MAJOR victory. I had been shaving my face with a DE safety for a while but decided to take the fusion on vacation and not the whole brush, bowl, etc. Haven't gotten up the nerve to try that on the dome yet  :-\

And, I still do only the front and the better half does the back. She still loves it and its a great excuse for dual shower every couple of days!! So until she gets any wiser, I'm not going to worry about trying to conquer the back myself  O0

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:58 PM »
You are a lucky, lucky man Scotty!
Bald by choice, and loving it!