Author Topic: Head shaving with a straight razor  (Read 1177 times)

Offline TunaSkin

• My Blog: http://rollingintherok.wordpress.com/
  • Sly Jr.
    • My blog:
Head shaving with a straight razor
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
Hey guys, I bought a straight razor recently, hoping it would be a good investment and end up saving me some money while giving me a super close shave. However, my first few attempts at head shaving with it haven't turned out so well. It shaves my neck and arms great, but when it comes to my head it doesn't do so well and I usually end up just getting frustrated and finishing off the job with my mach 3. I searched around and some people have suggested it might be my angle/technique. Anyone have any experience with this? What is the proper angle to hold the razor at while shaving your head? Much thanks to anyone who replies.

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”- Dale Carnegie

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
Re: Head shaving with a straight razor
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »
I've just recently acquired one too. Like you, I've attempted to shave my head with it a couple of times but have ended up finishing it with my Mach 3. The angle at which to use it is between 20-30 degrees. I've just decided to use mine to shape up around the sides and use my Mach 3 for the main work.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »
Shaving with a straight is a slow learned process, regardless of where you're shaving.
When it comes to the head, go very slow and deliberate.
I would learn in sections, work just the top of your head one side.  Once you have that, work the other side until you're able to get all the top without problems.
Now onto the back of the head (my least favorite place to put a straight).
Once again, one side until you get the technique down, then the other.

One thing a straight razor will teach you is that shaving with one is not a race.  You rush and you'll bleed.

Small steps, it's a process...

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »
There is definitely a learning curve to it. Even going slow, I have still nicked myself.

Enter your email address: