Author Topic: 18 year old who's thinking about taking baby steps toward the sly look  (Read 6674 times)

Offline SlowlyShedding

• Learning the way of Sly
Hey guys, my name is Alex, and as you've probably guessed - I'm balding. First, I'd like to say that it's not as some teens who've posted on this forum. I'm about a Norwood 2, but with all of this shedding in the shower, etc. I'm really not sure how much longer that'll last. This has been an issue which has plagued me a LOT lately and when talking to my ex she recommended I at least try for a buzzed look if not an all out shave. My fear is that maybe I've got a weird head shape, some unsightly bumps, etc. that will make me incapable of pulling off the look. We all know that not everyone can pull of sly seamlessly, but by god I'd much rather know I'd be OK as sly rather than getting on Propecia or anything. Unfortunately, I'm worried enough that Propecia becomes more attractive by the day.

While I'm sorry that I don't have a picture of my hairline (or face for that matter) to post and give you guys an idea what you're working with I will definitely get around to doing so in the next day or so as I'm actually just about to head off on a hiking trip. What I'd really appreciate from you guys for now is just some general things that I should take a look at regarding head shape and such and if you have any suggestions for a guy in my situation in general.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also feel like I have a gigantic forehead and that definitely doesn't help.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:31:56 AM by SlowlyShedding »

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
First don't worry about the big forehead as it is an illusion caused by hair above it. When the hair is buzzed or shaved the forehead just becomes the head. Just feel all around your head when its wet for unusual bumps, check out your profile in a mirror. Very few have heads that cant be shaved. Try a no. 2 buzz which is 1/4 quarter inch of hair length or no. 1 which is 1/8 inch length. So many guys have this look I'm sure it will be fine. Just be confident in your choice and never feel you are missing something of value because you are not. I swear 30% or 40% of the guys I see anywhere are buzzed or shaved these days. Its almost becoming odd to see a guy who has longer hair.

Offline dlab

• Sly Guy in Training
wet your hair and plaster it against your head with a brush.. then you'll see your head shape

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Summer is a great time to experiment with a buzz cut or shaving it entirely. The only requirement is that you give the "new style" 30 days to adjust to it and decide whether it's for you. I'd guess you will look just fine and you will feel a huge sense of relief.

A lot of the guys here are shaved because they prefer the look, the ease of maintenance, less cost/time involved with barbers/hair stylists. As chgobuzzbald wrote above, it really has become a mainstream look. Having a buzz/shaved head is no longer a marker for balding.

Try it. I think you'll like it. Keep us posted.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
I agree.  Summer is a great time to try it.  A short buzz is a great place to start. 

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
Even if you do find that you have a slightly odd shaped head, in my experience a weird shaped bald head still looks better on most than a weird shaped balding head.

Offline Curly

• Sly Jr.
Slowlyshedding..... You came to the right place.... I was pretty young when I started losing my hair also.... I tried the propecia for a year or so. For me it just slowed it down a little. AND, it was costly for me... Lucky for me I had no side affects. Hopefully nothing long term. AND YES, my forehead was extremely huge when I first shaved. The 30 day rule helps with that.. I don't enough notice anymore.. Good luck with your decision..

Offline invaray

• Sly
 Some guys think their head is an odd shape everyone's head is different. It will look fine if each side is symmetrical. If you don't like it hair grows fast and will be back before you know it. Either way shaving it will help you get over fear of losing it and you'll see its just hair.
shine and share

Offline SlowlyShedding

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond to this. You guys have been really helpful and I've appreciated the support. However, I figured I would give you guys a picture to work with and with my hair back and wet to give you some idea and to ask about how bad the balding is. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I have a forehead akin to a solar panel. My face is also just really long in general. Sorry about how tired I look - long night at work. Sorry that I didn't comb it all the way down so you all could see my head shape.

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Bolt15/media/IMG_20140720_135408_278_zps35dc8ee2.jpg.html

Offline invaray

• Sly
Nothing about you is out of proportion. Nice wide set blue eyes, strong chin and you still have plenty of hair up there.  You would look fine without hair but I would keep it and just enjoy being 18 as long as you can.
shine and share

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Slowly, you got nothin' to worry about.

Keep the hair if you like. If the shedding is a slow torture then buzz it or shave it. You're gonna look just fine.

Offline SlowlyShedding

Thanks for the quick replies Invaray and Frontier Guy! I really hope you guys are correct in that it wouldn't be too much of a catastrophe if I went bald. Honestly, I do still have enough hair to conceal the recession, but eventually I know that is going to go as well. When the time comes I just want to be able to feel comfortable with my head and know that it isn't going to make me less attractive towards women or anything. A lack of hair itself doesn't scare me, but what a lack of hair will look like on me!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Slowly ... continue to participate in the forum. Great bunch of folks here and some non-hair topics as well.

Then, when you are ready to "try Sly" you'll know your support group is on hand.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:32:02 PM by Frontier Guy »

Offline ksshane

• Sly Jr.
Slowly,

You have nothing to worry about.   I could totally see you with a buzzed or sly look.  Maybe with a little goetee...

That knee jerk reaction we all get to loosing our hair does suck, but you came to the right place.   Wish I had found these guys when I was your age.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome, SS...I think that you can pull off a shorter haircut for now if you aren't ready for sly just yet. Good luck
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.