Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Garthox

• Learning the way of Sly
New to the forum
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
A warm hello to everyone reading this, ;D

I have been lurking around the forum for about the last week and a half and i must admit. I am really finding a lot of what the guys have to say, quite inspiring.

I am currently 25 so a little more on the young side. I am not one who is blessed in the hair department. I'll be honest, it has bothered me a lot for as long as i can remember.

But on that note, reading through this forum. I am starting to realize from many of the guys (and gals) on here that it might not be as big a deal as i have been making it out to be in my head. I do have what is called ectodermal dysplasia. Which one of the conditions, if you can call it that, is thin/fair hair. To put it bluntly, high school was sucked big time. but that is behind me.

I have linked to a couple pics here. I only see now how far/bad it is. I don't exactly take photo's of my head on a regular basis, if you know what i mean  :P
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ep43jf680gjuzuk/20140714_195907.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qww22dfqtow7ib0/20140714_195920.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a540ny7h6lsttoa/20140714_195945.jpg

I am rather tall at around 188cm (±6.16798ft) and weigh in at 77kg's (169.75 lbs). I'd like to think that i can rock the sly look.  8) i don't really know any sly guys, let alone any around my age.

I have started to contemplate the sly life and the 30 day challenge quite a lot.  :D

Regards,
Garth

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
Welcome, Garth! I think sly would look great on you. Give it thirty days, and if you don't like it you can always grow it back. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
Welcome Garth, wow, you are pretty close to bald, but you know that. I think you can rock the bald look, it should look good with the beard. I hope you like it, I am BBC and love the bald look more every day.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
Garth, I would advise you at least to cut your hair a lot shorter.  The length makes the fine hair pull away from the scalp even more than normal.  Also, that wispy strand covering almost a horseshoe fringe should go.  I'd advise getting your hair mowed down to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch all over; just shave off the few hairs on top.  When you get used to that, you should keep buzzing it until you are comfortable doing a complete shave, which you should try out for the recommended 30 days.  I think that you would look really good with a completely slick dome.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:53:29 PM by EarlBald »

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »
Hi Garth,

Welcome to the Forum.  I agree with Earl.  If you don't shave it all off, shorter hair would be better. Having said that, I think you would look best sly.  It seems like you really would like to try it, so I say, go for it and then post some pictures.  I bet it looks great.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »
Hello Garth, first of all welcome to the group! :)

Am sure it's been really hard for you to go through hair loss, but now the good news: from your pics I can say you're going to look grat bald!
So you have a really good option, shave the head and keep the beard, you will see how good you'll feel as soon as you do it!

Good luck and let us know what you decide

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Welcome, Garthox!

You have everything to gain by shaving your head.  I agree that you should leave the beard and enjoy the new look. 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »
Ditto.  Grab those clippers and spare the beard.  You are going to rock a whole new "attitude"!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:14:57 PM »
Just do it man.  I committed to it at 30 because my hair was very quickly running away from my face.  Like everyone said, give it a month and you'll wish you did it sooner.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »
Hi Garth:  Welcome to the sly fraternity.  Glad that you joined us.  I say keep the beard and rock the chrome dome.  I know that you will love it.  Good luck and keep us posted to your road to slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:50:11 PM »
Garth,

You'll have nothing to worry about with a shaved head man.  Like my fellow sly guys have said, keep the beard.  Trust me when I say you'll feel and look much better when you shave it completely bald.  A good portion of your head already lacks hair.  You can try a buzz cut but you will find that the thinness will still be quite obvious.  Also, you won't be satisfied and the hair loss will still be in the back of your mind. Your best bet by FAR is going away and shaving it clean.  Welcome to an awesome community and keep us posted.  You'll rock the sly look without a doubt and will receive a plethora of compliments, especially with that beard.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:25 AM »
I have started to contemplate the sly life and the 30 day challenge quite a lot.

If you are thinking about, then you should do it.

Once you've done it, you'll stop thinking about it.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 05:17:58 AM »
Welcome Garth!

I will echo what the gentlemen before me have said. If you want to shave your head, that desire/thought is not going to stop until you do it.

I think you will look fine, sir.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:31 AM »
Welcome.

I think it's like a lot of other changes in life ... once you begin thinking about it you won't be satisfied until you've tried it.

I agree with the others ... definitely shorter will be better, but I think sly will be best.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 06:09:27 AM »
Welcome to the Forum , Garth. Just got back myself.  :)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields