Author Topic: Advice for a new DE head shaver with thick stubble  (Read 3479 times)

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
Advice for a new DE head shaver with thick stubble
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
I have joined the club and started head shaving with a DE razor.  My motivation was cost and a desire to be able to shave ATG without the irritation and razor burn I got with a cartridge.  I was nervous about butchering my head and didn't want to make much of an investment until I knew whether I would want to stick with it.

I ended up getting a Feather Popular, a sample pack of blades, and a Vanderhagen starter kit with soap brush and bowl.  I've been wet shaving exclusively for about a month with mixed results so far.

My routine has settled into shower, apply shave secret as a pre-shave oil and let sit while working up some uberlather, then rinsing head and applying lather.  I typically only lather up and shave one portion of my head at a time (top, right side, left side, back) otherwise my lather seems to dry before I can make the entire first pass.

The top seems to shave fairly well with only a couple of passes, but the sides and back seem to take 4 -5 WTG and XTG plus some touch up buffing, and I feel like I need to apply pressure to get a decent shave, which I know is bad form with a DE.

Shaving ATG even requires some buffing, and even if I apply more shave oil I still get a lot of resistance and blade bounce.  I've only nicked myself about 4 times in the month I've been wet shaving, but all of whose have been during ATG passes in the back.

I've tried quite a few blades but haven't quite worked myself up to the 7 O'clock yellows or Feathers yet.  I have to say that even after a month with only a few nicks, I'm still a little intimidated by the sharper blades based on what I've read.

Like most people on this site, once I started wet shaving it quickly became a hobby and I do look forward to shaving again.  But it is currently taking too many passes and too much time to get a decent head shave (it can take me up to 90 minutes shower to shaved).

Any suggestions from the experienced DE head shavers out there?  Do I need to stop experimenting with other blades and go straight to the Feathers now?  I've read that the slants and adjustable a can be great for the thick hair and sensitive skin combo.  Am I still to new to move to a more advanced razor or does it sound like that's what I need?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
Re: Advice for a new DE head shaver with thick stubble
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
It takes time and practice to get a DE shave right.  You mentioning blade bounce tell me that you're being a little light, use a little more pressure to keep the blade edge contact more constant.

Also, vary the head angle.  Sometimes a shallow angle works better in some sports where a flatter angle would work better in other places.

You might also want to leave the pre-shave oil on when you lather.  And, while shave secret is a good product, I like to use baby oil (a bit messier, but I get better results).

And above all, remember: keep Calm and shave on!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
I've been wet shaving since February. In the beginning I was ready to give up because it was taking me so long and I almost never got a great shave the first month or so. I always had to touch up with my Mach. But I really enjoyed the whole process, so I stuck with it. And with continued practice, I got better. In fact, lately I have been thinking I finally got it down so I am getting excellent shaves.

I was scared of the Feathers too. However, I tried one about a month in, and I had no problem with them at all. For me they are not at all as scary as some guys make them out to be.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »
I have that Vander Hagen set, Only thing useful in it for me is the bowl. I never got the brush to lather and the soap never produced a decent lather. My recommendation? Give up on the Vander Hagen stuff, invest in Taylor of Oldbond Street shaving cream (I'm partial to the sensitive cream) and a mid-range badger brush from simply beautiful both can be found on Amazon.
As for the blades, in my experience the sharper the blade the safer the shave. Since becoming a DE shaver in November the only times I've really nicked or cut myself have been due to a dull blade and/or a bad angle. If you have the right technique (no added pressure, and the right angle) your shave shouldn't produce any nicks or cuts. Keep in mind though, that no matter how experienced you are at DE shaving, where there's a blade and skin involved sooner or later there will be blood. How much blood depends on how careful you are. Everybody has different trouble spots, mine for instance are the back right section of my dome and behind my left ear. For those trouble spots you have to follow the rules. You can speed up your shave a bit after you perfect your technique.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »
@GWS:  Welcome to the sly fraternity.  Post up in the INTRODUCTION section of the forum so we can give you a proper welcome.  You got some great advice from our fellow chrome domers.  All I gotta say is be patient and do not give up.

I have been shaving the dome the traditional way since 2012.  It only took me about a week to get comfortable with the face and about a month to get comfortable with the dome.  The Feather Popular is a very mild DE razor so I would definitely suggest using a Feather blade.  A mild razor and a sharp Feather blade will be a good balance.

Also, you may consider getting a better DE razor such as a Edwin Jagger 89L, Merkru 34C, Muhle 89 or if you go vintage go with a Gillette Fatboy, Slim, SuperSpeed, Red Tip, or Tech.  So, glad that you are wanting to improve on your DE shaves.  Keep us posted and feel free to ask any other questions.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:16:10 AM »
I have that Vander Hagen set, Only thing useful in it for me is the bowl. I never got the brush to lather and the soap never produced a decent lather. My recommendation? Give up on the Vander Hagen stuff, invest in Taylor of Oldbond Street shaving cream (I'm partial to the sensitive cream) and a mid-range badger brush from simply beautiful both can be found on Amazon.
As for the blades, in my experience the sharper the blade the safer the shave. Since becoming a DE shaver in November the only times I've really nicked or cut myself have been due to a dull blade and/or a bad angle. If you have the right technique (no added pressure, and the right angle) your shave shouldn't produce any nicks or cuts. Keep in mind though, that no matter how experienced you are at DE shaving, where there's a blade and skin involved sooner or later there will be blood. How much blood depends on how careful you are. Everybody has different trouble spots, mine for instance are the back right section of my dome and behind my left ear. For those trouble spots you have to follow the rules. You can speed up your shave a bit after you perfect your technique.

Awesome post and same as me my friend. Feather seem just right for me now but yet to try one in my 37c. Thinking of buying a 'Pogress' too! Badger brush is awesome as is the TOBS Sensitive!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »
Thank you for the input everyone.  I loaded up a Feather blade this morning and took some of the advice on pressure and angles into account.

Not one nick, so I'm assuming that means my technique has gotten pretty good over the past month.  The Feather blade didn't really seem all that much sharper than the Astras or any of the other platinum blades I've tried.  I do have to admit that there seemed to be much less irritation, even going ATG.
It still took me 4 passes (WTG, XTG both ways, ATG) plus touch up, even with the Feathers.  I'm guessing I'll need to move to a slant or an adjustible to improve that at all (both of which I want to try anyway when I can save up a little cash for my new habit...I mean hobby).

I did notice that while I seemed to have very little irritation following the shave, I had a lot more after applying my sunblock 10 minutes later.  I may have to experiment with some different sunblocks to find one that doesn't irritate and doesn't break out my skin.

Thanks again.  I'll keep check back in and let everyone know how it goes.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
Pick up some witch hazel at your local store and some cotton balls. You can soak the cotton balls in the with hazel or just add some to it. Using witch hazel helps with any irritation caused by shaving.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
I have some witch hazel that I use post shave.  I used to use a benzoyl peroxide wash post shave to combat acne and ingrowns, but I just switched to using that in the shower pre shave instead.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »
Keep an eye on badgerandblade classified for a good deal on a slant.  Lots of good folks over there...

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »
Bump patrol is good too.

I am using my 37c slant with a feather and to be honest the shave is the same, for me, as with my EJ D89L. Still takes numerous passes and touch ups!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Second use of the Feathers today.  Only 3 passes WTG and both directions XTG.  I had a little more irritation today than I did with the first use of the Feather that incorporated an ATG pass.

Does anyone else have tough enough stubble that their blade seems to dull toward the end of the first use?  I've seen that pretty regularly regardless of blade type.  I haven't tried any of them past 2 shaves yet.

By the way, had some credit card rewards that I just used to pick up a new 37c from Amazon.  I'll be trying out the slant soon.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
Hi GSW:  Yes... I have a very thick & heavy beard and so tough hairs on the dome that I can only use two full face and head shaves.  Congrats on pulling the trigger on the 37C.  I love my slant razors.  They are perfect for head shaves.  Keep us posted with pics of course.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!