Author Topic: Going for shorter handle (Merkur Progress)  (Read 2613 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Going for shorter handle (Merkur Progress)
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
I can get a BBS shave on my face with any of the DE razors I've tried, but I'm trying to find the optimal one for my head.  (Yes, I've left HeadBlade again...the speed of the shave just can't trump the comfort of the DE.  My skin thanks me for going back to DE.)

Anyways...I'm currently using a Merkur 23c (long handle) with Feather blades.  I can get a decent shave but I wish I had more adjustability, so I just ordered a Merkur Progress.  I've never used an adjustable before.  It's my understanding that I should back to more of a midgrade blade, so I ordered some Israeli Personna's (Crystal).

I exclusively use  shave soap and I shave in the shower, so my skin prep is always optimal.

What are your experiences with the Progress on your head shaves?  Any tips?

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
Re: Going for shorter handle (Merkur Progress)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:24:27 PM »
I don't have a progress, but do use my Futur from time to time on the bean - I use either Med Prep's or Lab Blue's.

The adjustment part is nice (when I shave my face, WTG I set to 5 or 6, XTG I'll go down to about 2.5, and ATG down to 1 or 1.5), but on my head I keep it down to 1 or 1.5.

That being said, I tend to get a better shave overall (face and head) using a slant (I have the 37c, the 39c and an Ikon DLC slant).

When I'm truly in a mood, I'll use straights all around, but that takes time and practice :)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
Been thinking of trying a Progress myself as i have the same results as you 120

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
I've now had about 6 or 7 shaves with my Progress.  Initially, I used the Israeli Personnas with good results.  BBS and only a few mild weepers.  I had much more control with the shorter handle.  For the last 2 shaves, I decided to carefully try out the Feathers.  I started with WTG set at 1.5. Then XTG at 2 and finally ATG at 2.  I went back down to 1 for touch-ups.  These were superb shaves, so despite the recommendation of going with a mid-grade blade with the Progress, I had better results with the Feathers.  I think that's the right combo for me.  I will wait a while before I increase the gap beyond 2, at least until I get more accustomed to the balance and angle of the Progress.  At either rate, I can say the progress is an excellent razor for head shavers.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »
What other razors have you tried 120? Would you place the Progress at the top of the list?

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:58:41 AM »
What other razors have you tried 120? Would you place the Progress at the top of the list?
As far as safety razors, I started pretty low-end.  I used a 60's Gillette "Shorty" Travel Razor (L-1).  Later I used a '71 Gillette Super Speed.  Then for about a month, I used a Merkur 23C.  The Merkur 23C is probably the first "quality" DE I've used.  My only complaint was the long handle.  The long handle was no problem with face shaving, but it got in the way with head shaving.  The Progress handle is shorter* and the razor is heavier.  The balance is perfect.

So, my list of DE's is short, and given the list, it's no surprise the Progress is at the top. I don't collect them.  I generally find something I like and stick with it.

*the Progress does come with a long-handle option

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:23:34 AM »
Let us know how you get on with the progress on a dad to day basis as to if it is a keeper for you