Author Topic: Tattoo Observation  (Read 4556 times)

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
Tattoo Observation
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
Tattoos have really become more common these days.  One thing I have noticed is that there seem to be some highly skilled tattoos on a lot of people these days.  At the same time, though, there seem to be a lot of poorly done ones as well.  I keep seeing people that look like they gave themselves multiple tattoos with their left hand... and unfortunately they must not have been left handed.    :/O :px

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Tattoo Observation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
Where I live, tattoos have become very common, almost to the point where you don't really notice them.  I have to agree with you - there seem to be a lot of poor quality tattoos - blurry artwork, crooked lettering, etc.  It's important to see the qulaity of the artist's work before committing to letting him / her do your artwork.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
A girl I work with recently got matching tattoos with her dad on Father's Day. I thought that was a cool idea, but the work was not impressive. Pastel colors in a tattoo? Looked weak and amateurish.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:48 PM »
Someone was looking at the tats on my arms the other day and wanted to know if I'd been in prison. He didn't believe me when I said no. This guy looked to be in his 30's so it seemed a little odd that he felt that way.
Hair is over rated.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »
Lots of people with tattoos in Australia theses days.  Many of them seem very amateurish and without much thought and I wonder what they will look like in yesrs to come.
Roger

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:28 AM »
Hingatao, likewise ... it does surprise me when someone that young (30s) has an attitude like that. Which I generally attribute to their upbringing (likewise with poor behavior, tantrums, lack of manners, etc.). Causes me to wonder how many other things which are common today (lifestyle, racial acceptance, the growing senior population) they are conflicted by.

The proportion of people with ink seems to be dramatically higher especially in the last several years. Young folks seems natural, plus I see a lot of new tatts on more mature folks. I think that's great; when I've inquired the most common response has been they did it for themselves and not as some attempt to recapture their youth or resulting from a middle-age crisis.

I agree with nuts there seems to be a huge amount which is amateurish and unskilled. At the other end of the scale I've recently seen some incredible large pieces which dramatic coloring (some really bright, others really soft) and exquisite design and execution. Those usually have a great story about how the design was developed and the people or events in a person's life which are represented.

Quite an interesting art form.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 05:58:58 AM »
Someone was looking at the tats on my arms the other day and wanted to know if I'd been in prison. He didn't believe me when I said no. This guy looked to be in his 30's so it seemed a little odd that he felt that way.

I can't believe someone said that to you, especially a younger person. Rudeness or just ignorance, do you figure? I would have been taken completely surprised. I might have actually laughed at that question.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:21:03 AM »
Of course I've not seen Hingtao's arms but of this I am certain: There is look, almost a tactile feel to prison done tats that's a distinctive as a Koi from New School.

And, yes, absolutely, there is an amazing amount of really poor work. I would guess that some of the young-who primarily have it-were not prepared for the cost of better quality work and, as the young will, wanted something "right then". In their minds, a tattoo is a tattoo is a tattoo. Of course later, if they retain an interest in their art, they'll find someone who will do a cover up which will partly resolve the problem. A problem that won't be solved is the great number of people who get their hands on a gun and some ink and, voila, they're a tattoo "artist". Locally, licensing has more to do with sterility of your shop and some very modest knowledge of tattooing. In the end, it's very subjective. Imagine Pope Julius wandering into the Sistine Chapel, looking a Michaelangelo and saying, "Yeeeess...it's certainly nice but....could I have another choice?" What I have and I will guess most of the guys here have are things we wanted and knew why we wanted them, a faculty the young seem to be missing.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »

I can't believe someone said that to you, especially a younger person. Rudeness or just ignorance, do you figure? I would have been taken completely surprised. I might have actually laughed at that question.

I think it was probably a combination of the two. I've been tatted for about seven years now and, of all the people who have commented on them, this guy was the first to make the jailhouse connection.
Hair is over rated.