Author Topic: Back to DE, should have never left.  (Read 3786 times)

andrewswenson

Back to DE, should have never left.
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
I recently decided to give DE shaving another go as my first DE I bought a long time ago (Edwin Jagger DE89) sucked balls.

Check out this bad boy I ordered off Amazon:

Merkur34G
[/URL][/img]

.....G as in Gold plated son!!

I'm very happy with this shave. This specific Merkur 34 is supposed to be one of the most legendary DE razors of all time and I can see why. I just spent extra and got the gold one because it's a work of frickin' art. I think over time I'm going to get the 37G because the slant is supposed to offer a more aggressive shave, meaning one pass and you're done.

The experience using Feather blade:

-What I liked about the face shave was that it got closer than anything I've ever used. It took a re-lather and one more passing through, but I never had to go ATG or XTG EXCEPT on my neck which seems to always be the case because the hairs are so thick and stubborn. This caused razor burn at the very bottom of my neck which isn't anything new because after everything I've tried razor burn never goes away there.

-The head shave was the exciting part. I only had to go WTG everywhere on my head and it left everything pretty much baby smooth. Usually with a cartridge, I would have to at least go XTC to acheive this result. So although I glide this over my head slower than a cartridge, it saves time because one pass is enough to slice everything away besides my skin. No rinse, lather, and repeat on the noggin. The back part of my head, pretty much on the neck, is where it still feels like sandpaper, but I need to get used to this before I start going ATG in that area.

In conclusion, if you're interested in this thing, BUY IT. You won't be disappointed. Enough said.

andrewswenson

Re: Back to DE, should have never left.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »
@Drewski:  Congrats on finding a razor that works for you.  I love my Merkurs also.  I have a Merkur 37C, 37G, Mergress, and Futur.  You should try the Merkur slant razors.  However, Merkur stopped making the 37G back in 2012.  I was fortunate to get one of the last ones.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

andrewswenson

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
Yeah over time once I get used to this Merkur 34G I'm gonna get the 37G. Would you say it provides you with a one-pass and done?

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:14:05 AM »
I am toying with getting either a 34c or a 37c. Been using the EJ for quite some time now and it takes several passes to get the head smooth!!!

andrewswenson

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 03:58:36 AM »
The 34C or G is certainly an upgrade from that crappy EJ. I think it will be better for you Goatee. Try it out!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
The 34C or G is certainly an upgrade from that crappy EJ. I think it will be better for you Goatee. Try it out!
@Drewski:  I'm sorry that the EJ89L did not work for you but using the word "crappy" is an insult to this well designed razor.  The EJ89L is a beautiful razor that is well loved in the wet shaving community.  It is a very mild razor but certainly not "crappy".

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

andrewswenson

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »
Well it's a good thing the razor doesn't have feelings  :px

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »
I ordered the 37c. Cant wait to try it. I know, treat it with care! lol

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:05:26 AM »
Well it's a good thing the razor doesn't have feelings  :px
@Drewski:  I'm sorry that the EJ89L did not work for you but using the word "crappy" is an insult to this well designed razor.  The EJ89L is a beautiful razor that is well loved in the wet shaving community.  It is a very mild razor but certainly not "crappy".

WARHAWK O0

Different strokes for different folks, my dudes! Thankfully, I like all three of my DE's but I've been a bit busy and have been using my ATX due to time issues. Will go back to DE this week, though.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.