Author Topic: the white scalp effect.  (Read 20335 times)

Offline outsider82

• Sly
the white scalp effect.
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:42:23 AM »
Hey guys,

This is a question mainly directed at the guys with fair skin that doesn't tan easily.  How long did it take for your head to gain some colour after you shaved for the first time?

Out

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
Re: the white scalp effect.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:01:02 AM »
Out,

One thing to remember is that our sun here in OZ is pretty strong so when you do go fully Sly,if you go into the sun,make you use a Sunscreen of at least 45SPF.

A good week in the sun and your dome will tan to the same color as your face.Guaranteed.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:17:40 AM »
As a newbie, I can actually answer this one.  I shaved my head for the first time two weeks ago, and I have very light skin tone and when I first shaved, my head was a pastey sickly white.  I made it a point to go and sit in the sun everyday around noon to get good direct sunlight.  The first two days I used headshade (spf 15) and was out for 30 minutes on day 1 and 45 on day 2.  After that I stopped using any sun block and went out for 30 minutes per day.  I got a little pink the first day with no sun screen and skipped the next day.  I didn't burn badly and the pink turned into tanner skin in about 48 hours.  I then repeated 30 min in the noon sun (no sunscreen) for the rest of the week.  Within 7 days or so my freshly shaved scalp was blending with my face much better.

A week should do it ... just don't overdue and fry your head.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
Yes be very careful. I am finding that even though it was over two weeks ago that I went to florida after shaving my noggin for the first time...taht even though I used sunscreen..i never burned..whick is a good thing...but now i am finding the my head is peeling a little.  Kinda looks like I have dandruff.  Just make sure you use aloe alot after sunning.   Nothing worse than a burnt dome.  Just use your "Head"

BALDANDRE

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 09:12:02 AM »
You look pretty light, so I think you may not have THAT prounced white head...but please don't rush to tan-up...you do NOT want to burn your newly shaved head....

epecially in OZ...use at least a 30spf, eveyday, but i would go to 45-50 if you're out all day...i found the same true in hawaii...sunscreen a must!

You'll look great bro!

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »
Hey,

I've always been under the impression that long periods out in the sun are bad for everyone, regardless of complexion.

My recommendation would be to get about an hour of sun each day, and like others have said, the white scalp effect should be gone in a few days. Don't forget the SPF.

Good luck,

Cy

Offline frank_m

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:47:50 AM »
Hey guys,

This is a question mainly directed at the guys with fair skin that doesn't tan easily.  How long did it take for your head to gain some colour after you shaved for the first time?

Out

What I did was shave down with NO guard and spent an hour or two in the sun for a couple of days prior to shaving with a blade, when I initially shaved with the blade, I had decent color already.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 01:00:13 PM »
just be nocturnal and then it won't matter. and skin cancer won't be a concern. win/win if ya ask me.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
you don't really need to go into the sun that much bro, if you keep shaving it you will eventually blend in, it took me a couple of weeks because I work indoor and don't want to burn my head   

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 03:20:04 PM »
As a pale-pale white guy like you, I have to say that tanning is a bad idea :o  Just  getting UV exposure through windows, reflections off pavement (yes, radiation is reflected by pavement; that's why they use it in nuclear bunkers), reflections off water, and any outdoor sports you play, you will get enough color on your head.  Don't increase your risk of cancer by tanning.  And for the love of God, wear a hat and/or sunscreen when you're outside!!

This message brought to you by the Council for Pasty Pale White Guys.

Offline outsider82

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 06:01:57 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses.

I think i may have slightly miss lead you. I had no intention of purposly sitting out in the sun inorder to get colour on my dome. I was going to let it colour up of its own accord. It just takes longer when you have a freckely complexion combined with red'ish hair.

Out

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 06:42:06 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses.

I think i may have slightly miss lead you. I had no intention of purposly sitting out in the sun inorder to get colour on my dome. I was going to let it colour up of its own accord. It just takes longer when you have a freckely complexion combined with red'ish hair.

Out

no sheet. i feel your pain bro

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline bustabucket

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 09:01:51 AM »
It's been over a month for me and my scalp is still pretty white.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »
I would just stop thinking about it. One day you will look in the mirror and say dang, no more white scalp.