Author Topic: How long do these blades really last?  (Read 4950 times)

Offline DanJMag

• Sly Jr.
  • Balding sucks. Drop the 'ing' and be beautiful.
How long do these blades really last?
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »
Hello, good folks. I am just about to enter the world of DE shaving. I'm expecting to receive my Merkur 34C on Monday. Part of the reason I wanted to make the switch was due to the exorbitant prices of cartridges. I can get a 12 pack of Proglide cartridges for about 50 bucks on Amazon.ca, but these cartridges will last me the better part of a year. All in all, that's not too bad, IMO. So, I'm curious: how long does the average standard DE razor blade last before it needs to be replaced? I know they cost a fraction of a quality cartridge, but I'm curious how much of a savings this really represents over the course of a year (as an example). Thank you all in advance for your responses.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: How long do these blades really last?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »
When I shave with my DE, I can get five shaves out of a blade if I am lucky. Usually, I change the blade after three.

When I use the Fusion, the cartridge usually lasts ten to twelve shaves.

I never have calculated what the cost comparison/difference is for me.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline DanJMag

• Sly Jr.
  • Balding sucks. Drop the 'ing' and be beautiful.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
Thanks for the input, Cave Dweller. BTW, you have a great signature. Peace.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
It depends on the brand of blade, how many passes you make on your face, whether you shave your whole face or around a moustache etc, whether you also shave your head with it.....
In other words, there are a lot of variables.

That said, shaving only my face, I get 4-5 shaves which are at least comparable (although more pleasurable for me) with a cartridge shave.  So I could for example buy 100 astra blades for around 10 US dollars, use two a week, and have them last me for almost a year.

Some blades are cheaper, some more expensive, but even at one shave and then in the (safely wrapped) trash, 400 blades would be only around 40 dollars.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:15:49 AM »
For my face I use cheaper blades, 200 cost me £7 delivered, and as I only shave my face around twice a week, I use a fresh blade each time...still very cheap lol

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
I typically get a weeks worth of daily shaving out of a blade.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 05:48:52 PM »
I use feathers and they seem to last ages, easily 10 shaves but I do have a goatee and sideburns. I noticed the other day, that my local supermarkets have put the price of DE blades right up (easily triple the price they were a few weeks ago)

They now are not cost effective at all if purchased locally
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
I get mine on Amazon, usually 100 blades at a time.
-Winston Churchill

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
My hair is thick so I always throw my DE blade after two or three face & head shaves.  I don't wanna chance shaving with a dull blade.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 04:53:28 AM »
So far I only use the DE on my face. I tend to get about four shaves out of one blade. I still use Gillette fusion on my head.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 05:59:40 AM »
Interesting question as every guy handles it differently. I have both a Merkur DE and use Merkur blades. I also use a straight razor on my face and as it's the sort that accepts half a DE blade, I also use the Merkur-snapped in half-in it. But in all cases, I make sure both the blade and the handle are carefully dried after each use. I disassemble the DE and lay all the parts out on a towel. I remove the blade from the straight hedge and make sure it, too, is dry. The hardest part to dry is the groove on the Straight edge which has a very tight opening-to solve that I hold it against the air conditioning register in my bathroom. Now, to some, this is excessive but it is how I was taught to preserve my blades. I use a pre shave oil and whip my own foam-to about the texture of meringue. I easily get 15 shaves from one blade in the DE and about that from the single edge. Including, blades, shaving oil and cakes of shaving soap (George Trumper) I spend less than fifty dollars last year-another seven if you toss in a bottle of Old Spice of which I use a few drops in warm to hot water and soak a towel to wipe my face. As I said, every guy does it differently but on one thing we can all agree.....the price of injectable cartridges is outrageous. Where do the get their steel? Was it once part of the sword Richard the Lion Hearted pulled from the stone? Was it the sword of Damocles? Did Kirk Douglas wave it about in Spartacus? No, it was probably made from scrap steel so if you have an aging car-I believe Toyotas and Hondas from the sixties and seventies are preferred-don't turn it in, buy a grinding wheel, a modest forge and you'll be set with blades-any shape, length or degree of sharpness you chose for the rest of your life and it's a handy thing to leave in your estate for all future members of your clan to have.

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
Blitzed, that's not actually a straight razor; it's a shavette. I have the Parker SR1, I find it to be very useful for shaving directly under the nose.
A straight razor is a single piece blade with a handle (think Sweeney Todd).
-Winston Churchill

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
Yes it's a Shavette, which in my experience is less forgiving than a straight razor.

On the topic of blade life, I forgot to say that I strop my DE89. I just do it on the inside of my forearm before and after I shave. It seems to freshen the edge and possibly it extends the blade life...
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
I typically get a weeks worth of daily shaving out of a blade.

What blade do you use?

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »
Astra, Feather, and Dorco are the blades I use most frequently. I've tried 7 O'clock shadow and like those but I only have a sample pack of them currently.
-Winston Churchill