Author Topic: The back of my head looks like a dang warzone  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Chico D

• Sly
The back of my head looks like a dang warzone
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
I continue to struggle with the sides and the back.  With the grain, no problem.  But against the grain, and I get all scratched up.  THe damn blade gets caught on my hair at some points and doesn't move anymore, its kinda like I gotta force it.  It sucks.  Maybe its the Sensor blades?  The headslick?   I have heard of people shaving sideways instead of up and down, but I feel like thats almost going with the grain.

Any more tips?  My head is messup lookin right now.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: The back of my head looks like a dang warzone
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »
What blade are you using Chico?  I use the headblade sport and it seems to work fine for me to go against the grain.  The most important thing to the headblade is never apply pressure the the blade.  Always keep the pressure on the wheels.  Also are you doing this in front of the sink or the shower?  You need to make sureyou get your scalp all nice and heated up with some warm or hot water.  If you are shaving in the shower be careful as to not let the water rinse the Headslick off  because that will cause drag also.  Maybe your hair is thicker than mine...but I think it is important to use special care on preshaving as much as it is on the post shave.   Good luck with it...and just do what gives you the best results.  I think most people will see..what is good for one person isnt neccessarily good for another person.  Thats why God made us different....even though I need to remind my self of that at times....
Good Luck

Offline Chico D

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »
Thanks man, I'll try showering first next time. 

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »
Hey Chico,  sorry to hear you're having difficulty.  I use the generic Atra blades, and I'm a shower shaver with a mirror.  I do my initial pass with the grain.  Then, I rinse my head completely, reapply the Headslick, and then go against the grain.  I generally get some tiny nicks if I ever shave in front of the mirror.  The shower just works better for me -- I think because I keep my head wetter.  Also, in my case, after I'm done, I take my standard blade and shave straight up from my ear (something impossible to do with the HB) on both sides.  Let us know if our tips help any.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline frank_m

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:40:01 PM »
The other guys gave you the most important advice on the HB, keep the pressure on the back.

a couple of pointers I have learned;
go to you tube and do a search for 'wet shaving' there's a guy on there that has several videos on wet shaving (good how-to advice)  I applied some of the knowledge from there to my shaving routine, and I must say that I hardly EVER have any nicks, bumps etc.

also, I tried the blades that come with the HB and they messed me up big time, I now use the Sensor blade (double ones not triple) with the HB and I don't think I will ever need to try a different blade, they are not too expensive.

jusbnme

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:42:12 PM »
Like most of the guys have said you want to keep the pressure off the front of the blade and definitely make sure you are getting your head really nice and wet with the hottest water you can stand.  Because the hotter the water, the softer the hair.  I'm actually not a HB user anymore but with any razor you use one of the most important things is to take it slow.  Going to fast will cause extra pull on the hair which will result in some bad irritation. 

Offline Koaa2

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 04:04:19 PM »
I shave in front of the mirror, find that if I soak a face cloth with hot water and pat and lay it on my head, before I apply shaving cream, helps soften follicles and makes the shave smoother. Good Luck!
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 11:55:06 PM »
Hey Chico I too had the same problem with irritation and cuts. And the 2 things the really helped me get rid of it.

Correct use of razor. Dont apply too much pressure and use plenty of lubricant(gell or cream).

COLD WATER SPLASH. Splash ice cold water onto your dome after shaving and this will not only give you a natural shine but will limit irritation caused by shaving.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »
Hey Chico. I have never heard of hair that could stop a razor blade in its tracks. Maybe you should address that issue first and also try to use some good witch hazel on your dome as an aftershave. It will sooth and help heal any irritation. Good Luck.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 03:57:57 PM »
chico....lots of gr8 advice/info from the brahs.  if all that duz not work 4 u, then u might want 2 switch 2 another weapon.  u might want 2 try a fusion.  i am a fusion man & NEVER got an irritation 2 my dome or face.  the fusion blades r awesome.  the ONLY downside is that they cost $$$ but it is all worth it.  keep us posted & c ya 'round the forum.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
I really recommend softening the old stubble up with a brush or washcloth and some soap. Also, a good shave creme like Headslick also makes blades last a long time.  I'm amazed at the number of shaves I get out of a Schick Extreme FX.  Also, I always use my free hand to really stretch my scalp tight while I shave against the grain