Author Topic: My Vacation  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
My Vacation
« on: October 29, 2006, 12:43:26 PM »
Hey guys, some of you probably noticed that I haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks.  This was because I was on vacation in a place that had no access to civilization...well except for the satellite phone we had.

I was in Montana for 10 days on a hunting trip.  We had a really good time.  We hunt between 7000 and 9000 feet along the Continental Divide which runs along the Idaho and Montana border just outside of West Yellowstone.  It's an absolutely gorgeous place!  We setup camp at Blair Lake, which is a small little lake at around 8300 ft.  We got lucky with great weather for most of the time.  We hiked in during a small blizzard which dropped about 2 feet of snow on the ground.  Since then we had pretty clear weather except for 2 more days of snow and a lot of wind at night. 

We have two wall tents that we setup that are about 9ft  by 16ft.  We had 10 guys go this year.  It takes about 3 or 4 trips with 13 pack horses to get our camp in.  Then we kept 4 horses in camp to use for hunting and packing guys out earlier than the rest.

We had a good time but we didn't see much in terms of game.  Actually, out of the 10 of us, not one of us even pulled the trigger.  Though, it's always good to have some fellowship with my dad and the rest of the guys...we just won't eat very well this year... :-[

To all of you that joined while I was gone welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

To all of the previous members, thanks for keeping this such a great site while I was gone.  Especially to PigPen, HappyHarry, and Yeti for doing such a great job moderating while I was gone.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

Re: My Vacation
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »
Tyler, we want pics!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »
Oh yeah, I'll get some pics up as soon as I get them.  My dad forgot his digital camera so I have to wait for a couple of the other guys to send me the pics.  As soon as I get them I'll post them up here.

Since I was up in the mountains for several days I wasn't able to shave my head.  After 12 days, I got to see how bald I am.  This trip marked my 4 year anniversary of shaving my head and I wasn't much worse off than when I started shaving my head.  Though, my bald spot on my crown did grow about 1 inch in the last 4 years.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:17:21 PM »
Here's the first pic that I received.  In this pic I've just jumped on the horse and I'm getting ready to pack a load out to our truck the day before we leave camp.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »
Now that's deep in them thar woods boys.

Damn that looks like fun. I need to start hunting again.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 05:51:16 PM »
Yeah, we're pretty deep into the woods.  Here's some maps to show you what the area looks like.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 05:54:15 PM »
Here's another...

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 09:39:34 AM »
Roads? We don't need no stinking roads
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!