Author Topic: Which DE blade do you use ?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline sheffdave

• Sly Guy in Training
Which DE blade do you use ?
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
On my face I use :
Astra sp
Gillette yellow
Personna med preps
Feather
Lord chrome

I've used them all on top except the Feathers, the sharpest and least forgiving of the bunch. Has anyone experienced a head shave with a feather DE blade ?. I dont think my technique is up there yet to risk it
cheers
dave

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
Re: Which DE blade do you use ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:14:43 PM »
I'm getting a little more comfortable using a DE on my head.   To date I've used Feather, Dreadnought, and Merkur blades on my head. 

The first 2 or 3 times I've used a DE on my head was with a Feather. Those times I've either cut myself or had terrible razor burn.  I think my technique is getting a little better because I'm no longer getting razor burn or cutting myself.

Though, I haven't been getting too aggressive with the DE razor.  I usually do my initial pass(es) with a DE and then a "polishing" pass with my headblade.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:21:26 AM »
At the moment, I own two DE razors (a third may be in my arsenal soon), a Lord DE (thanks, Warhawk) and the EJ 89 that I won last year in a contest (thanks, Mike Koz) The EJ 89 gives a great face shave, but it is a little aggressive and I have not mastered it on my head as of yet, but I will get there. As for the Lord, it is a little less aggresive, and I have mastered it to the point where I can shape my beard as well as shave my head within 10 minutes. As far as soaps, I rotate between Bee Bald, Shaving Soap and Headslick.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline TattooedGunner

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »
I have not tried a DE on my head as I don't have one any more and I like my headblade.

On my face, when I don't have a full beard I use an EverReady 1912 SE(Single Edge) razor.

When I did use DEs I liked the Personna Red Pack blades.

Offline sheffdave

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
I've been shaving with a DE razor for quite a few years now and still find the feathers unforgiving. I'm a newbie head shaver and I think the feathers will leave my head covered in cuts/bumps