Author Topic: First Time Shaving Head -- Advice/Tutorial?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline BaldBoy26

• Learning the way of Sly
First Time Shaving Head -- Advice/Tutorial?
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »
Hello!

I'm 26 and started balding on the top around 18.  I'm quite thin now on the top that I need to shave really short from now on, and it seems logical to just do it myself now.

My typical haircut has been a buzz cut: #3 around, #4 around crown, #6 on top.  I don't know much about hair styles, but the stylist said it would make it so I wouldn't have to get a haircut so often if I blended it that way.  Is that the only advantage, or does that just make it look better than, say, a #3 all around?  Basically, I want to try a #3 all around, and then maybe try #2 or less.

Anyway, I use a Philips Norelco QT4070 for my face.. I'm assuming this won't cut it (get it?)

What then should I purchase?  I've read there's debate about ceramic and stainless steel -- is one definitely better, or is it personal preference?

Are there any thorough tutorials, perhaps with video, that someone could link me?  The hard part seems to be getting the back of your neck -- does the baseball cap trick work, or is there a better way?

Sorry for so many questions, I don't want to mess up!  Thanks!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Re: First Time Shaving Head -- Advice/Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »
If you go to your usual hair cutting place have them buzz you down to a 0, then you can try shaving with your electric razor.

If you'd really like to do it yourself get a clipper like the Wahl Balding clipper. Once you clip down you might be able to use your current electric razor to shave. Be aware that electric won't get as close as a blade.
I have a Remington F5-5800A that is pretty good, though I still prefer using a blade.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
The Remington is very good but it takes longer, still if you put in the time you can get a smooth shave.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »

Thought this was a decent video tutorial:

Also, while this isn't a tutorial, I thought this was a pretty good video of a barber doing a head shave with clippers.  She makes it look pretty effortless and gets it pretty close:

hope this helps out a little :)

Offline nicolaus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
What a cool tutorial! and Mikey Bustos is one of coolest sly guys  O0

Enter your email address: