Author Topic: First Reactions  (Read 2322 times)

Offline yohnazo

• Game Designer
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • A happy young guy who decided to try being bald
First Reactions
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
I've been bald by choice for about a month and a half. I really like it myself, had some trouble with irritated skin early on but that's mostly gone now.

I asked a few friends what they though before hand. One said they weren't sure if it would look good, one was supportive and another said "OK" whilst we were shopping online for clothes together.

Since then i've had a few different reactions. Here is a list of them:
-Some people say nothing
-Some ask why I decided to do it
-Some ask if it's in support of something
-Some people say it looks good
-Some people have said "So shiny!" or joked about it be shiny
-General jokes about hair "What hair?" etc
-Others think that every man should do it at least once in their life
-People i've met since say they can't imagine me with hair
-I've been asked what I plan to do with my beard
-Once a friend of mine was giving a tour around uni, she walked past me and said hi, and the first thing that came to her head to say to the people on the tour was "That's Paul, he's voluntarily bald", I thought this was pretty funny
And the list goes on...

I like to joke about it too amongst friends.

I've asked people what they think now that it's been a while and they mostly just say that they're gotten used to it.

That last reaction in my list though makes me think, I have a new hair style but I don't want it to become a driving factor of what defines me, of course it'll be handy for descriptions but I don't want it to hold too much importance or give the impression to people that i'm someone i'm not. What do you guys think about this?

My family hasn't seen yet, it'll be interesting when I go home at Easter. Not changing it before then though.

I'm just a university student who one day decided to shave his head, and decided to keep on doing it because he liked it.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: First Reactions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
Those reactions sound very much like those I got a year ago when I went smooth.

After the first few times people saw me, however, they no longer commented or even seemed to notice. In other words, it was old news and now as much a part of me as my brown hair and horseshoe had been.

I found it to be a relief that my head was no longer a novelty.

Be prepared for some of your family to be more negative or critical. For some reason family members seem to think a man never should change his hairstyle. Mothers also act as if they cannot accept that their "baby" did something to change his appearance. Don't sweat it, though. They come around once they get over the initial surprise.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline yohnazo

• Game Designer
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • A happy young guy who decided to try being bald
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:41:12 PM »
I am prepared for them to ask me a few questions or not like it, i'm not really worried though, they're my family ^^

Thanks for the advice, I thought the reactions were normal, it's pretty interesting when people react to a change you make, this one seems to be reacted to more than others, which makes sense since it's very obvious.
I'm just a university student who one day decided to shave his head, and decided to keep on doing it because he liked it.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »
I love the term "voluntarily bald!" It's better than " bald by choice!"

It sounds like you are enjoying being sly and the reactions people are giving you.  My bald head is a source of lots of jokes among my friends and family and I can usually find the humor in it. You have to have a sense of humor! And the ribbing comes with lots of affection.

I was worried about reactions when I initially razor shaved, but my worries were for nothing. I didn't get any extreme reactions. Most people didn't say anything or didn't notice since I probably looked bald with my short buzz anyway.

I felt much more comfortable as time passed and everyone had seen me. I was no longer thinking about what everyone was going to think. Now I can  just enjoy my big, shiny bald head.   :)
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »
Sounds like you are enjoying.  The first reactions are the best ones.  If you keep the look, in no time will anyone remember what you looked like with hair and your old photos will look odd. 

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 02:40:29 AM »
You look awesome. When I decided to take the plunge 10 years ago to go completely sly. When I was at the barbershop and while I was being lathered up someone else with a shaved head told me that I'm going to like it that I would keep it shavedI was getting a straight razor head shave. I have kept it shaved since.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:24:50 AM »
The reactions that you received are normal for the most part....but if you treat sly as just another haircut, everyone in your circle will (or at least should) look at it the same way.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.