Author Topic: Where to find alum block?  (Read 9404 times)

Offline snowpeck

• Sly Jr.
Where to find alum block?
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
Have read some good things about alum block and preventing oil on the scalp. Any advice on where to find one? I'd rather not order online unless I have to.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Where to find alum block?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
Hi Snowpeck:  Alum block is very difficult to find in brick and mortar stores.  You can get one on Amazon.com for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/RazoRock-400230-Alum-Block/dp/B003LEXEDW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391543179&sr=8-2&keywords=alum+block

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
I got cheapy eBay crap & I love it. Never tried store bought so nothing to compare to but I have no complaints at all & I recommend alum to EVERYONE.
Some barbers in the bigger cities have alum blocks for sale. Might spoil myself one day...

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
I have that exact alum stick that Warhawk recommended above. It's excellent.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »
Not sure if you have either of these stores nearby. But I think Art of Shaving stores or perhaps Sephora (no the ones in JC Penny) may have them.

Offline snowpeck

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
I actually just discovered my favorite barbershop (Frank's Barbershop in Knoxville, TN) sells them, so I'll stop by there.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »
I actually just discovered my favorite barbershop (Frank's Barbershop in Knoxville, TN) sells them, so I'll stop by there.
Looks like an awesome shop
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
I thought the shop looked great until I saw that they support Bosley.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline snowpeck

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
An update: the alum isn't helping much so far. Only four hours into my day and my head is already getting greasy  :(

EDIT: It didn't get quite as greasy as usual, but still a bit more than I'd like.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:42:54 PM by snowpeck »

Offline jk7143

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
I have the same problem man. I just bought some head lube matte and it isn't working very well to be honest. It tones down the shine and grease a lot in the beginning, but it wares off. I might try that alum block after I finish this bottle. Who knows might work for me.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 02:42:22 AM »
If you're looking for a way to kill the shine on your head, I hear that rubbing a small amount of baby powder on your scalp helps....might be a little cheaper, but a friend of mine said that's what he did to kill some of the shine on his head.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »
Sorry if I'm posting the obvious, but you need to rub the alum on a wet head, I use mine straight after a cold rinse, to soothe, then after I've used witch hazel and just before I go out, I wet the alum and give it another rub,  I suffer from a real greasy head, but it really helps keep me dry

Offline jk7143

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Are you guys using razorock or bloc osma alum block? Which do you guys recommend? I'm really curious now that you guys recommend it.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 02:35:25 AM »
I just bought the cheapest block of alum from eBay....alum is alum....its a mineral...nothing added....so if its £3 or £10 its the same...and I've used the expensive ones, cheap ones are exactly the same

Offline snowpeck

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »
I'm not rubbing it on a wet head, but I'm running the block under the cold water faucet first, so I'm sure it's the same difference. I ended up not getting it at that barbershop (too expensive) and got it at an EarthFare grocery store. It was actually being sold as a deodorant, but as you said, alum is alum.

I'm not trying to get rid of shine (I like the shine.) I'm trying to get rid of the greasy feeling part way into the day. I know I can wipe it away at that point, but it would be better if the grease doesn't form at all. Some days I don't get an opportunity to wipe my scalp off.